Pop Pulse Tsunami T-Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, well I'm very sorry. It wasn't my intention to offend several thousand people...:rolleyes:

But I'm not bullshitting, the 2024 is much more vulnerable than the 2021 in my experience... Plus it has slightly less power given the fact that it is limited in supply voltage due to poor cooling capabilities...

Well ok I'll cut it out, but for those looking for a ready built amp go for the TA2020! (but I do wonder what the beep you're doing on this forum if you do so?!)

Got one playing just now

Hi Edt,

I bought one for the ridiculous price of €59,-.

My comments (listen with half an ear since I am a new bee to High End DIY)

It is well build en sounds fine on my system, though I am still in the run in phase. It seems easy to tweak (coils, caps etc) and came with a decent power supply.

I can't understand how they do this for such little money! If I throw another 20€ at it I will have a very nice amp!! The only problem is that I have promised this one to my daughter (and the next one to my son...... and the third to my wife :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

My 5 ct.

Peter

innards

And this is how it looks like inside.

Attachments

• snapshot 2009-01-28 10-02-01.jpg
    snapshot 2009-01-28 10-02-01.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 868
I can imagine there can be improvements when changing some components in the output filter, like using decent MKP caps and MPP toroidal cores to wind inductors with....

But then I'd say just use a better (for insance TA2020 based) amp, they usually have more space for such components... Like I mentioned I'm not too fond of this chip to start with and I think it's still about the weakest link in the chain here...

True and I have one

Hi V-bro,

I am playing around with this amp, to get in shape for building my own "better" amps (as you know ;-).

My soldering technique is improving a lot, hope to be able to solder smd soonest!

Just took of the inductors. I will experiment with self wound aircores here (o,8 mm wire).

Caps need to be replaced too. I am thinking of 6,8 uF 440 V Jantzen foilcaps to replace the noname with caps on the board. Not very expensive, and a nice upgrade I hope.

What do you think?

Peter

Re: True and I have one

peterhenk said:
Just took of the inductors. I will experiment with self wound aircores here (o,8 mm wire).

Caps need to be replaced too. I am thinking of 6,8 uF 440 V Jantzen foilcaps to replace the noname with caps on the board. Not very expensive, and a nice upgrade I hope.

Not being V-bro but here's my 2 cents.

Properly cored and shielded inductors are actually better than air core coils for this purpose, I wouldn't replace the inductors.

6,8 uF capacitors are way over the top and will result in a quite severe power on pop, I'd recommend 1 uF or 2,2 uF types. Especially with 1 uF types there's a lot of inexpensive excellent choices.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Nothing personal Saturnus but 1 uF for input caps is way too small. This was one of the first design errors manufacturers of amps with TA2024 made. There will simply be low roll off with 1 uF. Bad advice.

2.2 uF is OK but just leave the original ones where they are and it will be fine. This amp does not pop at power up as it has a relay !! Fact.

Component quality is OK, way better than most amps with TA2024 anyway. Just enjoy the amp. If you want to mod something better use a TA2020 based amp ( preferably one with poor quality components so that modding it is justified :D ).

Just my opinion.

Jean-Paul

inductors??

Hi Jean Paul,

Next ones will be 2020 or an more powerfull T-amps (this one is actually for my wife)

i have taken those inductors of already.

I can either solder the original inductors back, give air-coils a try or get some toroids (but where??).

So many choices :xeye:

Thanks every body for the input

Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Just leave it original. It looks good and probably it sounds more than good. The risk for damage weighs more than subjective results by replacing already good components.

Arjen Helder sells nice TA2020 amps. I ordered some and I am curious how they are.

You already removed the inductors ? It will be hard to obtain just 4 of the same SMD coils. You, ahem, prove my point to leave it untouched.

jean-paul said:
Nothing personal Saturnus but 1 uF for input caps is way too small. This was one of the first design errors manufacturers of amps with TA2024 made. There will simply be low roll off with 1 uF. Bad advice.

Nothing personal, jean paul, but you're wrong. The t-amp had 0.33 uF input caps. It was badly designed because in combination with the other input circuitry it made low Q filter that had effect much higher in the frequency band than I think the designers intended.

Without the additional input filtering a 1 uF cap is more than adequate for rulerflat frequency response to about 40 Hz.

Re: True and I have one

peterhenk said:

What do you think?

Peter

Well, be careful because I'm afraid that aircores are by nature very unsuitable for filtering RF (as 1,5Mhz is airborne RF). It'll work as a fantastic transmitting antenna. A closed magnetic system nicely keeps the field inside without letting it become airborne.... I know guys are busy to make them shielded, perhaps that is a good solution....But I'm afraid the idea about using aircores for class T is much based upon knowledge about them being superior in speaker filters, signals under 20Khz. It's a whole different ballgame and horses for courses, I place my bet on a coil well encapsulated in the core material....or at least with a closed magnetic system (interesting to know perhaps that the original SI amplifier inductors are also wound on a core, but the construction still allows much radiation to come free....as it has a top and bottom that do not "see" eachother, so it has to come free there, a toroidal core keeps it all inside...)

About the caps?

I would be surprised if you hear the difference between them and other decent quality polyprop caps of a few cents less, but let someone else switch between the one and the other caps. When you have distinguished them more often than 95% right I'm afraid we have found someone with superhuman hearing!
:D

Air cores it will be

Air cores has been the choice.

I prepared the board first drilling holes for the nylon "cores" then I wound 0,8 mm inductors 17mm long x 3 layers (calculator from the web) to get the 10 nF cores.

Soldered all back in and........ Very nice sound!!

Sound stage seems bigger, and I seem to hear a slightly warmer and more detailed sound (what a desire does to the brain / ears :D )

Need your advice on:

1. the applied shielding (aluminium kitchen foil) can this be done???

2. does this influence the DC offset?? I guess my cores are not exactly the same.

At least I did my first oficial amp mod. What fun this is!!

Peter

Attachments

• dscf3132.jpg
    dscf3132.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 562
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.