Pop Pulse Tsunami T-Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
more pics

the inductors

Attachments

• dscf3148.jpg
    dscf3148.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 559
v-bro said:
But then I'd say just use a better (for insance TA2020 based) amp, they usually have more space for such components... Like I mentioned I'm not too fond of this chip to start with and I think it's still about the weakest link in the chain here... [/B]

v-bro, please could you explain me why the t-2020 is better than the t-2024 chip?
I`ve been told that the 2024 is better for voices and I have enough lows. And with a decent power supply highs are quite sweet.
I have read many opinions, but have not found any clear answer.
Thank you.

Re: and the shielding

peterhenk said:
Is this OK?

It is fixed in a way that no contacts are being touched (of course !!)

What you did there probably lowers the inductance of the coils and will raise the crossover frequency of the filter. It is also by no means RF tight, we're talking minuscule wavelength here, even the tiniest of holes will radiate RF...(EMI)

jorge.cubells said:

v-bro, please could you explain me why the t-2020 is better than the t-2024 chip?
I`ve been told that the 2024 is better for voices and I have enough lows. And with a decent power supply highs are quite sweet.
I have read many opinions, but have not found any clear answer.
Thank you.

Both IC's have the same internals and the same sound character, of course there will be minuscule differences due to the TA2020 package being larger, so the decoupling caps are not as close and the lead lengths are longer. But that's really nit picking. Human hearing being as advanced as a neanderthal club this shouldn't be noticeable if you ask me.

What I'm talking about is the TA2024 being poorly constructed in the sense of geometry towards the heatsink, the heatslug being on the bottom of the IC. (making it only suitable to solder down on the PCB and let the PCB be the heatsink) The TA2021B for example has this heatslug on top, basically the same IC, but due to better cooling it can handle 14.5Vdc continuous instead of 13,2Vdc. But the TA2020 is a very diy friendly package that is rugged and being large it has excellent cooling properties even without heatsink making it's life expectancy much better...

Pop-pulse T-Amp Modified

I recently got one of these modified by Cryoparts. I haven't heard the stock version but this modified is one amazing little amp.

I've heard this on my JBL 4315s, HomeMade Fostex 8" K-Horns and Mini Full Range speakers by Whiplash Audio.

The amp had a tough time on the 4315s but that was to be expected at 15watts. On the large horn speakers it just SANG! same with the mini speakers.

This is a very clear liquid sounding amp. In the bass ranges it reminds me a bit of my old Quad 303 Solid state setup. You know that British papery sound? ( More of a thwap than a thump ) without the squashed dynamics.

I wouldn't recommend this as a house shaker or to power big modern power hungry speakers but for casual listening or a small desktop setup this is a great little amplifier.

By By Vintage Mac amp and hello T-amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.