Amphony T-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
3415838468_852fd661a6.jpg

the manual doesn't say what tripath chipset its using.

3408217082_c6d987e974.jpg

I have an onkyo htr520 and this little amp sounds better. Don't know about the newer receivers. If you have an old receiver like mine and don't want to replace it...you can definitely get these to improve the SQ until you have enough money to buy better gear.

My onkyo receiver doesn't have pre-outs (wish they did) so I use the speaker level adapters connected to the speaker terminals of my onkyo receiver from guitammer and they work great. $7 each. I bought 6 amphony model 100 amps to hook up all 6 channels. You have to use the mono setting. I tried using both channels on each amp but it shorts the channels.

3415919630_e33e98385f.jpg

3415922290_20c8295aa8.jpg

they remind me of the SQ from old tube amp receivers - natural, detailed, not harsh. for example, I can focus on a certain instrument or vocal watching a concert DVD and it sticks out. Also have noticed alot of details i missed in movies...so i am watching them all over again.

Whats better is that they don't overheat and turn off like the tube receivers.

I have had them on for several days and they stay cool to the touch.

They play really loud too. I use a reference level of 70db and can listen at that level. Its loud but instead of being annoying and harsh on the ears compared to the onkyo (without the amps)...with the amphony amps connected the sound is loud and clear (not harsh).

3416175114_c6e5d02d33.jpg

pos said:
Thanks for the report!

Could you elaborate on this?

i tried using 3 amphony model 100 amps...

1st amp - for left and right front channels
2nd amp - for center and back channels
3rd amp - for left and right surround channels

what happens is - two of the channels will be mixed and one of the channels would be softer.

when i played the test tones...the right surround test tone would play on both surround channels.

When I connected each speaker to a seperate amphony amp problem solved.

Also if your receiver is like mine, if it has no pre-outs, and you are using the speaker level adapters too, don't forget to do the in-phase/out-phase test.

I went ahead and bought one. I must say that the clarity is outstanding. The highs are crystal clear and smooth. No listening fatigue here. The lows are somewhat lacking and the mids are almost nonexistant though. I can take care of the lows with a small sub but I'm not sure about the mids. It's feeding a pair of Fonkens with Fostex FE127s which are definitely not shy in the mids. Inspite of this the highs really make it worth listening to. I will let it burn in for awhile before I pass judgement. But for $60 delivered to my door I'm very impressed. Next up I'll build the 41Hz Amp6 Basic and compare them both. I probably won't be getting to that project very soon though.

yeah its so clear and non fatiguing...i love how they don't heat up...always only less than warm to the touch.

yeah there's hardly any bass...but i use mine in my 6.1 setup, got the subwoofer and also buttkicker for the low end

they definitely sound better than my old onkyo receiver.

Is that Amp6 difficult to build? they mmust sound even better than the amphony t amp...

Hi there, i just bought the Model 100 and i am quite happy with it, it has enough power for more than listening volume with my 4 ohm speakers, and there is no background noise whatsoever, really really quiet. For quality i cannot really judge now, since the setup is really basic and there is a lot of difficulties in the listening room. I have made some pictures of the innards, i can't really tell what kind of chip they used. Can anyone give a clue about that. I would really like to know since the specs are really scarce.
Greetings,
Nils

Attachments

• DSC00097edit.jpg
    DSC00097edit.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC00100edit.jpg
    DSC00100edit.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 278
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
The manufacturer says they did not use a Tripath since the Tripath chips can't reach the 115 dB S/N they offer. The pictures are good but, hmmm, are those 2 metal blocks heatsinks and is the chip located underneath them?

Anyway I wonder if this amp would benefit from a different 24V power supply, instead of the small switching supply it ships with. Anyone have any recommendations?

As it seems, underneath the aluminum-blocks are just the output-transistors. There is some kind of chip involved, but i am not sure what it does. If anyone is interested, i could tra to do some sharper images.
Apart from playing quite nicely, and loud enough for room listening, this amp makes terrible noises when turned on, so i leave it on all the time. When it is connected the background is pitch black (at least with my speakers)...
Greetings,
Nils

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
If you could remove one or both aluminum blocks and post another photo, and just sharper well lit photos that would be great. We need to read the writing on all the IC's. Manufacturers will sometimes try to erase or hide this information.

This article advances the case for SLA power supplies. I wonder where we could buy on off the shelf (24 VDC) to power the Amphony. http://www.redwineaudio.com/about/why-sla The computer market near me has a variety of smaller 6V SLA batteries used in UPS's, I guess I could string 4 of them together. Then just need to charge them. Maybe its not often a product because its so simple, and so heavy. Ideal for DIY. But wonder if all batteries are the same for our purposes. Wouldn't they need to be able to provide shots of instant power... wonder if we shouldn't add a capacitor to the mix.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.