Amphony T-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amphony Pocket T-amp

Just recently posted this on AVS but am wondering if anyone may have some info on this.

Also as far as the specs go its as follows:

Technical Specifications
Output power:
Mono: 1 x 50 W (peak), 1 x 30 W (rms)
Stereo: 2 x 20 W (peak), 2 x 15 W (rms)
Dynamic range / signal-to-noise ratio:
Mono: 115 dBA
Stereo: 112 dBA
Frequency response: 1 Hz - 70 kHz @ 8 Ohms
Total harmonic distortion (THD+N):
Mono: 0.05 % @ 25 W, 1 kHz
Stereo: 0.05 % @ 10 W, 1 kHz
Power efficiency: 75 %
Channel separation: 85 dB
Idle power consumption: < 2 W
Dimensions: 3-9/16 ” (W) x 3-7/16 ” (D) x 3/4 ” (H)
91 mm (W) x 86 mm (D) x 19 mm (H)\

These can be found via pdf here: SPECS

How can it be compared to the Sonic Impact Gen 2 version. I'm looking to pick up something similar priced, functional now, maybe moddable later. If not the Gen 2 or this, anything you would recommend.

With 75% effeciency and idle power listed as "under 2 watts" I'm pretty sure that is not based on a Tripath chip and therefore not a t-amp. All Tripath chips have higher efficiency (over 80% in worst case scenario) and lower idle power (usually between 400 and 600 mW) so that would be listed as "under 1 watt", if anything.

If you're confident enough that you can mod existing boards, I'd recommend you look into one of the kits from www.41hz.com instead. Good quality, low price and if you're looking for something really small, one of the guys on the forum, v-bro, has made a version of the amp3 that fits into an old 9V battery casing.

I have a Sonic Impact Gen 2 T-amp and I really like it. It's a good amp and the first thing I did was replace the stock power supply with a Power-One MAP110-S148 SMPS. On the power supply, I replaced the filter caps with Panasonic FM caps. Changing the power supply made the most significant improvement to the sound quality. I have removed C3 and C4, the input caps, and replaced them with Axon True Cap 2.2uF/250V metallized Polypropylene film caps connected with some Mundorf Silver-Gold hook-up wire. I also replaced C10, the power rail cap, with a Panasanic FM 2,200/16V electrolytic cap, added a Copper heatsink to the TA2024 amp chip, replaced the output wire with some Kimber TCSS hook-up wire, replaced the stock caps on the speaker posts with some Radio Shack (Xicon) 0.1uF/250V metallized Polyester film caps and replaced the cheap spring-loaded speaker wire posts with some Vampire 5-way binding posts. I've managed to keep everything in the stock enclosure, although I did remove the molded-in battery compartment to make more room for the input caps and binding posts. I may also replace the stock pot with a Panasonic EVJ 50k log pot. I still use the headphone jack on occasion.

With the upgrades/mods, the sound improved quite a bit in terms of bass extension, detail, and soundstage size. I also have a modified Sure Electronics T-amp that I prefer over the modded SI Gen 2 T-amp and stock Trends TA-10.1 T-amp. If I were to start from the ground up today, I would probably go with a 41Hz kit or a Charlize T-amp for DIY. For something to run out-of-the box (funds permitting), I would check out a Virtue Audio 1 or 2 amp with upgraded power supply. If you are limited in your budget, then a Trends TA-10.1 or an SI Gen 2 T-amp that you will need to upgrade.

Saturnus said:
If you're confident enough that you can mod existing boards, I'd recommend you look into one of the kits from www.41hz.com instead. Good quality, low price and if you're looking for something really small, one of the guys on the forum, v-bro, has made a version of the amp3 that fits into an old 9V battery casing.

That was some time ago, I now have an even smaller version...

Here's an "old" picture:

Attachments

• smallest.jpg
    smallest.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,805
rhing said:
I have a Sonic Impact Gen 2 T-amp and I really like it. It's a good amp and the first thing I did was replace the stock power supply with a Power-One MAP110-S148 SMPS. On the power supply, I replaced the filter caps with Panasonic FM caps. Changing the power supply made the most significant improvement to the sound quality. I have removed C3 and C4, the input caps, and replaced them with Axon True Cap 2.2uF/250V metallized Polypropylene film caps connected with some Mundorf Silver-Gold hook-up wire. I also replaced C10, the power rail cap, with a Panasanic FM 2,200/16V electrolytic cap, added a Copper heatsink to the TA2024 amp chip, replaced the output wire with some Kimber TCSS hook-up wire, replaced the stock caps on the speaker posts with some Radio Shack (Xicon) 0.1uF/250V metallized Polyester film caps and replaced the cheap spring-loaded speaker wire posts with some Vampire 5-way binding posts. I've managed to keep everything in the stock enclosure, although I did remove the molded-in battery compartment to make more room for the input caps and binding posts. I may also replace the stock pot with a Panasonic EVJ 50k log pot. I still use the headphone jack on occasion.

With the upgrades/mods, the sound improved quite a bit in terms of bass extension, detail, and soundstage size. I also have a modified Sure Electronics T-amp that I prefer over the modded SI Gen 2 T-amp and stock Trends TA-10.1 T-amp. If I were to start from the ground up today, I would probably go with a 41Hz kit or a Charlize T-amp for DIY. For something to run out-of-the box (funds permitting), I would check out a Virtue Audio 1 or 2 amp with upgraded power supply. If you are limited in your budget, then a Trends TA-10.1 or an SI Gen 2 T-amp that you will need to upgrade.

With all that time and trouble you've put in there you could probably just as easy have built a much better amp :D

A TA2024 is and stays a TA2024....

v-bro said:

With all that time and trouble you've put in there you could probably just as easy have built a much better amp :D

A TA2024 is and stays a TA2024....

You are absolutely correct, which is why I said if I were to start from the ground up again, I'd go with something else. Now I am considering the new 41Hz AMP15 kit that you worked on.

Re: T Amp

p-macaudio said:
The 41Hz kits are great, but do require decent soldering skills. Many have ruined their kits, so it's not a good place to learn to solder! Choose a kit with through mount components, or simply purchase a complete board if you want to build your own project.

I don't know when you've last ordered a kit, but there are a few new (very serious) kits which are 99% through hole....

AMP7 for instance which was released just days ago is a pretty easy to build 2x500 watt amplifier...

I've built a few of them by now and it's a brilliant amp, runs very cool and sounds amazing!

I emailed Amphony and asked about the chip that the model 100 is based on. This is their reply:

The microFidelity amp works on a similar design as the Tripath but
uses our own technology, not a Tripath part. Previous products have
utilized Tripath parts but the Tripath signal-to-noise ratio is only
100 dB and does not deliver the 115 dB performance that the A100
provides.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.