Best price/performance ratio Class D assembled module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all.

I'm new on this forum, although i've been reading a lot of threads about Class D, i cannot decide which one can be more suitable for my purpose.
I'm willing to make an audio system based on class D or class T amp and i would like to find from your experience which can be more suitable, and with the best price-performance ratio.

Power should be at least 100W /ch at 4 Ohm, better 200-300W, 2 channels for the beginning.
Thanx.

If you want to make it really EASY to do, get the Hypex 180s and companion SMPS module. "Building" an amp becomes little more than mounting modules to some aluminum sheet surfaces, and connecting some wires to terminals and connectors.

Extremely nice result, too, and price is quite reasonable.

Remember to factor in costs of

--chassis
--heatisnks (if required) and
--transformers and filter capacitors (or switching SMPS supply equivalent)

...when calculating actual total price. These last three can dwarf the costs of the modules if you aren't careful -- the majority of the material cost in many commercial amps is for the damn boxes that they are built into!

really like your site. Sounds like nothing but bottomless fun. How would you compare your Amp9 and UcD180 amps?

The sound quality of both the Hypex UcD180st and the Amp9-basic is exemplary. There really isn't much between them. Most of the time I run the UcD180 powering my subs and the amp9-basic is powering my mains, it being 4 channel I can run it with an active crossover for my mid and highs.

Tests that I did before I went full active. I must admit where the UcD180 is probably a more truer sound, there is something about the sparkle to the highs of the amp9 that make it great for running compression drivers and waveguides.

Its all good!

col.

For jazzy939

at the moment i use class AB amplifiers, which are quite big and ineficcient for my purpose. i use to use-it at parties, that's why i need at least 100W. and of course, to be light, this counts when i have to carry all the time.

price for UCD or for 41Hz is still a little bit high for my budget, i will consider this eventually if i cannot find alternative. i keep searching.

for bwaslo

<<
--chassis
--heatisnks (if required) and
--transformers and filter capacitors (or switching SMPS supply equivalent) >>

i plan to use an old amplifier housing, in which i can retrofit a new existing amplifier which i will buy.

bobsnakke said:
price for UCD or for 41Hz is still a little bit high for my budget, i will consider this eventually if i cannot find alternative. i keep searching.

How much are you OK with paying?

I think Gainclone chipamps are cheaper, per watt, and smaller than big AB amps ... you could check those.

I haven't seen much cheaper fullrange Class D than 41Hz btw ...

I would seek advice before going for a amp2 build.

"The AMP2 is an advanced high power amplifier. Building AMP2, requires considerable experience in building electronic devices. It is not suitable for "beginners". If you would like a simpler to build, smaller amplifier, take a look at our AMP1 boards or the AMP3."

That statement off the 41hz.com site is not to be taken lightly.

Amp9-basic is a relatively easy build, Iv'e built a couple of them. They are also great value for money as you get 4x100w into 4ohm.

http://minirig.org.au/2008/05/28/minirig-41hzcom-amp9-basic/

Using old chassis can be fun, Iv'e done it quite a bit with preamps. I don't think you will be able to use much in the way of old amplifier power supply components though, I guess it could be fun to try. I love utilizing old stuff instead of discarding or recycling it.

col.

Hi Luka,

Nice amp2 Howto on your website.

If you know what you are doing maybe amp2 would be an easy build. But I think the topic of this discussion is more about assembled modules. If you were a novice kit builder I think amp2 would be very difficult for a first project.

I was going to have a go at Truepath but a friend of mine just had a very trying trupath time, it has taken him nearly 6 months to complete it. It's put me off, I just bought 2 UcD400 :D

col.

col said:
Hi Luka,

Nice amp2 Howto on your website.

If you know what you are doing maybe amp2 would be an easy build. But I think the topic of this discussion is more about assembled modules. If you were a novice kit builder I think amp2 would be very difficult for a first project.

I was going to have a go at Truepath but a friend of mine just had a very trying trupath time, it has taken him nearly 6 months to complete it. It's put me off, I just bought 2 UcD400 :D

col.
Hey it was my first one, 3 day to do all...I don't know...

Also no extra cost for 41Hz kits...

But if he wants assembled modules, that is up to him, there are few to buy...coldamp, hypex and many more, which can be found even here

kristleifur said:
With all due respect, I want to remind the thread that the OP wants a built up board:

... and so the 41Hz prices are missing the building costs, which shouldn't be too bad, and the complexity matter is void if there is an experienced builder assembling the boards.

right

i don't have the time and experience to buid one amplifier, even if is complete assembled kit, that's why i would preffer assembled one. seems that i found was looking for, i would need your advice regarding the choice. i found this site where they have for sale some ready modules for great price. anyone have experience with this site ? some feedback ? oppinions ?
http://connexelectronic.com/index.php/cPath/25?osCsid=v05kujhklab1147bnpktbev7l7
thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.