Anything new better then UCD sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of mono amps based on UCD700 modules. I have been using these for about a year now. Has class D technology in the last year advanced over what I have? Truepath looks interested, but there isn't any comparisons. I would like to buy or build something newer and better. I don't need 350wpc, but would like at least 200wpc into 8 ohms. NewclassD looks interesting as well. Any comments from the group on what you would do? I don't want to take a step backwards in sound quality.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Try building a Class A amp - An Aleph 60 or Krell KSA50 Clone. Not Class D, but it just may surprise you, as it did me.

I have a UCD400 that gets no play time now that I built the Krell Clone (search for building wiki). A little more work than the typical UCD.

400 wpc UCD vs 70 wpc Krell Clone on a pair of Magnepan MGIIIa. You would never notice the wattage difference.

Just my 2 cents.

Also like my ESP P-101. 380 wpc and really can grip the maggies. I don't know if I like it more than the UCDs tho, but its close.

Are you driving a difficult load? With 700 wpc monos, I would think your running Apogees, Magnepan, Martin Logan or something similar??

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
ArthurG said:
I recommend you the new Red Rocks Audio D200. Based on NXP integrated class D chip, this little baby sounds amazing with proper power supply. And the price is very cheap too...

What chip is that exactly, I wasn't aware they made an IC of UCD... which this is obviously borrowing from, while offering an amateurish layout.

Unlikely that this could be better than the real deal.

classdphile said:

What chip is that exactly, I wasn't aware they made an IC of UCD... which this is obviously borrowing from, while offering an amateurish layout.

Unlikely that this could be better than the real deal.

UCD is not the real deal. UCD uses one topology and NXP IC another one. They are totally different products. And putting everything in one IC has many advantages, for example in terms of timing...

Hi Kip,
You could try the ExtremA, a Class-A amplifier designed by Bruno Putzeys. You can read about it here.

Realistically it is going to be difficult to better a pair of UcD modules, and I don't think you are going to be satisfied with just another high end class-D offering. Maybe you could try some different/better speakers before deciding that you don't want a pair of UcD700 monoblocks anymore. ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Arthur, you seem to not know what you're talking about. You made the claim that redrocks uses an NXP IC class d controller, where did you hear that and which one is it.

From their website:

"The imPULSE D-200/*1000 modulation system uses a self-oscillating high frequency circuit that does not require an external clock. Also, the used feedback includes the reconstruction output filter in the loop. This way, the amplifier can correct load anomalies or defects at real time without using additional filters or zobels at the output, making the frequency response constant at any time, not influenced by load type or impedance."

That screams borrowed UcD topology, as do the FFT themselves. If anything they're using NXP mosfets to take advantage of the free licensing offer, but that's a very different thing.

If it is as I supect it to be it makes no sense recommending it as an improvement over its obvious superior, original solution.

So before we go on to discussing the merits of IC class d controllers and what the real deal is that you seem expert on, answer the first question I asked you by stating where you got your information and exactly what chip they use that fits the above description from their website such that it can be verified.

My speakers are Gemme audio Tantos V. 1 and i have a pair of ProAc One SC clones I built. I was always interested in class a amps but read that the Krells were bright as well as the Pass Labs stuff. I am looking at Butler amps, but don't want to sell my UCD700 amps for something inferior. I was hoping there may be something new to built in class d that might better what I have. Mine are the ad version with three Plitron transformers. They sound great, I am just looking for a change. You guys know how it goes.

classdphile,

first, I did not say that the red rocks audio module is better than the ucd. please read my reply again. You make false assumption.

Second, because it's a commercial product and because I don't want to give out publicly some information about the design, please contact directly red rocks audio and particularly Jose Tasende, their engineer, I'm sure he will be very happy to assist you, like he assisted me.

oh and finally, no I don't want for red rock audio.

regards
Arthur

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
ArthurG said:
classdphile,

first, I did not say that the red rocks audio module is better than the ucd. please read my reply again. You make false assumption.

Second, because it's a commercial product and because I don't want to give out publicly some information about the design, please contact directly red rocks audio and particularly Jose Tasende, their engineer, I'm sure he will be very happy to assist you, like he assisted me.

oh and finally, no I don't want for red rock audio.

regards
Arthur

Hi,

Did you mean the false assumption that we're all equally aware of the context of the threads we post in?

It's funny but you didn't seem to have an issue publicly disclosing "design information" when you stated it used a common NXP IC.

Do you have Jose Tasende's email address then? I'd be happy to say hello.

classdphile said:

Hi,

Did you mean the false assumption that we're all equally aware of the context of the threads we post in?

It's funny but you didn't seem to have an issue publicly disclosing "design information" when you stated it used a common NXP IC.

Do you have Jose Tasende's email address then? I'd be happy to say hello.

Hello,

For the assumption, I think it was a misunderstanding :) I don't want to argue on rhetoric things. I only wanted to recommend you a nice module that maybe will please you. nothing else. Sound is a too much subjective thing...

For the "design information", again we are playing with words... but I believe it has a big difference between "this amp uses this kind of IC" and "this is the schematic of this amp and it uses IC brand XXX model YYY".

By the way, I send you Jose email by PM.

best regards
Arthur

Kip said:
My speakers are Gemme audio Tantos V. 1 and i have a pair of ProAc One SC clones I built. I was always interested in class a amps but read that the Krells were bright as well as the Pass Labs stuff. I am looking at Butler amps, but don't want to sell my UCD700 amps for something inferior. I was hoping there may be something new to built in class d that might better what I have. Mine are the ad version with three Plitron transformers. They sound great, I am just looking for a change. You guys know how it goes.

What about upgrading to the HG modules? Everyone seems to note significant improvements over the AD.

I just went to Hypex's web site and saw that info. I am sure my 700's are the AD version and not HG and I don't have the new regulators. Now I wonder if I can update my modules to the HG version and install the hxr regulators or should I sell sell what I have and buy all new parts for monos from Hypex (about $1500.00) plus chassis (+$500.00 more).

My amps have three Plitron transformers in each.

Kip said:
.......They sound great, I am just looking for a change. You guys know how it goes.

yep I know how it goes, I am not aware of any breakthroughs In Class D technology. I have used UcD180ADs for many years, I did change the opamps and short the coupling electros. I have not tried a seperate PS for the opamps but imagine the effects could depend on the qualities of the main PS and how hard you push it, I wouldn't expect a revelation here. I really think these modules are much better than people realise. Let us know if you discover anything better. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.