Hypex amplifier project successfully completed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2008, 10:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hypex amplifier project successfully completed

Though I have a fairly expensive amplifier a Denon AVR3805, which had good reports on its music capabilities, I was never truly and wholly satisfied with it when playing CDs. For AV it's fine.

Reading on this forum and others about how good these new D-Class amplifiers were, and particularly the Hypex, I thought I would give one a try.
It was particularly easily for me to add an extra amplifier as the Denon has preamp outputs.

I purchased 2xUcd180 High-Grade amplifier modules and a SMPS180 powersupply, powering both models, from https://www.hypexshop.com/.
Bought the rest of the stuff, click on the List link below, from Maplin's http://www.maplin.co.uk/Home.aspx.

Construction was very easy and went ahead very quickly with a little help from members of this forum.

If anybody has any doubts about using the SMPS180 instead of the heavy bulky linear supplies let me assure you that the SMPS180 runs the two amps perfectly. One can turn the amplifier up to beyond the threshold of pain without any problems whatsoever.

Similarly, don't worry about having to use the Balanced Input Configuration, which doesn't have anything as far as I can see to do with quality of the music but just cuts out problems with hum when using very long leads.
I used normal RCA connectors with excellent results.

Switching on for the first time with great trepidation expecting a loud bang and sparks, nothing happened. Complete silence. I put my ear to the speakers and couldn't hear anything, nothing at all.
I had a CD running with the volume turned right down, turning up the volume to normal listening levels I was absolutely blown away by the fantastic sound. My god it was beautiful, deep rich solid bass, crystal clear treble and a sound stage that felt like the orchestra was in the room with you.

As different instruments played one could pinpoint precisely the direction from which they were playing from, not at all all jumbled together. Very precise.

What struck me straight away was how clear the music was. I was hearing instruments and sounds I had never really heard before. All coming from a completely silent background.

With other amplifiers I have had, I've always had to play the music at a high level to get it sounding full. This amplifier seemed to have a very high dynamic level. Even when playing music quite softly, by comparison as to what I used to do, it sounds great.

I was sitting in my armchair listening to all this happening when my wife said to me, why you sitting there with a smile on your face? I hadn't realised I was, but it was just sheer contentment listening to such perfection.

I am now going through my collection of CDs listening to them all again, and getting a kick out of each one hearing them produced so brilliantly, it is as if I had never heard them before.

Over the past 40 years of listening to and being interested in hi-fi music there has been only two landmarks which have shone out.
I have kept up by replacing speakers and amplifiers etc over the years. Each one being an improvement but not startling so.

The first one was when I first played CDs, that was a landmark for me, absolutely fantastic after listening to the crappy, snap crackle and hiss of vinyl records.

This amplifier is the second one, really outstanding sound and well worth every penny I paid for it. I can't be more pleased.

There may be better amplifiers out there but they would have to be exceptionally good to better this one and I would love to hear one.

This is the early days of these amps and I'm sure from their simplicity, reduced constructional costs, efficiency, coupled with no compromise sound quality they will be the amplifier of choice in the future.
I bet in a couple of years time also, these amps will cost peanuts to what they do today and they will be used in everything.

It's the same with the SMPS powersupply I can't see any point in great big, clunking heavy linear powersupplys now.
My amplifier is so light that when I push the power on button the amplifier slides backwards if I'm not
careful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back view.jpg (35.6 KB, 2835 views)
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Hypex amplifier project successfully completed

More photo's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amplifier modules heatsinked on back panel.jpg (81.8 KB, 3192 views)
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Hypex amplifier project successfully completed

Quote:
Originally posted by cirrus18
More photo's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottom view plenty of ventilation holes.jpg (48.3 KB, 2492 views)
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Hypex amplifier project successfully completed

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top view.jpg (79.8 KB, 2761 views)
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hypex amplifier project successfully completed

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ventilation holes on side and on top.jpg (31.9 KB, 2382 views)
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hypex amplifier project successfully completed

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alongside denon amplifier.jpg (49.0 KB, 2085 views)
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hypex amplifier project successfully completed

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my setup.jpg (45.8 KB, 2174 views)
Old 23rd November 2008, 02:57 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Great job

Great job and an excellent review.
Very helpful information.
thanks!
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hypex amplifier project successfully completed

Quote:

List of extra items.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled(1).jpg (39.5 KB, 2071 views)
Old 23rd November 2008, 07:02 PM   #10
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well done!

The only thing I would recommend is to make sure the wiring isn't too close to the modulator board on the SMPS. Hypex states 10mm minimum clearance around the entire AC input side of the board.

Hide this!Advertise here!