Hypex amplifier project successfully completed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Though I have a fairly expensive amplifier a Denon AVR3805, which had good reports on its music capabilities, I was never truly and wholly satisfied with it when playing CDs. For AV it's fine.

Reading on this forum and others about how good these new D-Class amplifiers were, and particularly the Hypex, I thought I would give one a try.
It was particularly easily for me to add an extra amplifier as the Denon has preamp outputs.

I purchased 2xUcd180 High-Grade amplifier modules and a SMPS180 powersupply, powering both models, from https://www.hypexshop.com/.
Bought the rest of the stuff, click on the List link below, from Maplin's http://www.maplin.co.uk/Home.aspx.

Construction was very easy and went ahead very quickly with a little help from members of this forum.

If anybody has any doubts about using the SMPS180 instead of the heavy bulky linear supplies let me assure you that the SMPS180 runs the two amps perfectly. One can turn the amplifier up to beyond the threshold of pain without any problems whatsoever.

Similarly, don't worry about having to use the Balanced Input Configuration, which doesn't have anything as far as I can see to do with quality of the music but just cuts out problems with hum when using very long leads.
I used normal RCA connectors with excellent results.

Switching on for the first time with great trepidation expecting a loud bang and sparks, nothing happened. Complete silence. I put my ear to the speakers and couldn't hear anything, nothing at all.
I had a CD running with the volume turned right down, turning up the volume to normal listening levels I was absolutely blown away by the fantastic sound. My god it was beautiful, deep rich solid bass, crystal clear treble and a sound stage that felt like the orchestra was in the room with you.

As different instruments played one could pinpoint precisely the direction from which they were playing from, not at all all jumbled together. Very precise.

What struck me straight away was how clear the music was. I was hearing instruments and sounds I had never really heard before. All coming from a completely silent background.

With other amplifiers I have had, I've always had to play the music at a high level to get it sounding full. This amplifier seemed to have a very high dynamic level. Even when playing music quite softly, by comparison as to what I used to do, it sounds great.

I was sitting in my armchair listening to all this happening when my wife said to me, why you sitting there with a smile on your face? I hadn't realised I was, but it was just sheer contentment listening to such perfection.

I am now going through my collection of CDs listening to them all again, and getting a kick out of each one hearing them produced so brilliantly, it is as if I had never heard them before.

Over the past 40 years of listening to and being interested in hi-fi music there has been only two landmarks which have shone out.
I have kept up by replacing speakers and amplifiers etc over the years. Each one being an improvement but not startling so.

The first one was when I first played CDs, that was a landmark for me, absolutely fantastic after listening to the crappy, snap crackle and hiss of vinyl records.

This amplifier is the second one, really outstanding sound and well worth every penny I paid for it. I can't be more pleased.

There may be better amplifiers out there but they would have to be exceptionally good to better this one and I would love to hear one.

This is the early days of these amps and I'm sure from their simplicity, reduced constructional costs, efficiency, coupled with no compromise sound quality they will be the amplifier of choice in the future.
I bet in a couple of years time also, these amps will cost peanuts to what they do today and they will be used in everything.

It's the same with the SMPS powersupply I can't see any point in great big, clunking heavy linear powersupplys now.
My amplifier is so light that when I push the power on button the amplifier slides backwards if I'm not
careful.

Attachments

• back view.jpg
    back view.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 3,068
Wow! Hypex better than a High End $10,000 amplifier.

Quote: have a full, rich flavor that is akin to "tube" sound, but with less coloration. They are warm and lush, harmonically rich and vibrant, yet extraordinarily detailed. Well-recorded strings and female voices are rendered in goose-flesh creating splendor. Ride and crash cymbals are creamy bronze in flavor and just plain "real" sounding.
This UNRIVALED class-D amplifier is a hands down winner; and no, not just in the "for the money" category. It may well be the best sounding amplifier I've ever heard! No foolin'. I know of one music lover (David, are you reading this?) who, upon my recommendation, put them up against a $10,000 "Super Amp". The $10K entrant went back to the manufacturer!

Read the full review here:http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/cia_d200.htm

If you are not into DIY, they can be purchased from here ready-made: http://www.mm-audio.nl/ price from € 630,25 excl. VAT

More here: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1822/

I am now going through my collection of CDs listening to them all again, and getting a kick out of each one hearing them produced so brilliantly, it is as if I had never heard them before.

That is the best experience ever, i have done it when i got my sennheiser hd-580 headphones, then with the 650's then with the pimeta amplifier, and then with the M^3 amplifier. I'm sure that's why a lot of us are here.

I cannot be sure but it looks from the photos like the mains power cord is only two core. If this is the case then there is no safety earth connection to the amplifier's chassis.

This and the previously mentioned lack of clearance between live parts of the PSU and 'safe' side wiring make using this amp potentially lethal.

Please be careful out there guys !

bver100 said:
I cannot be sure but it looks from the photos like the mains power cord is only two core. If this is the case then there is no safety earth connection to the amplifier's chassis.

This and the previously mentioned lack of clearance between live parts of the PSU and 'safe' side wiring make using this amp potentially lethal.

Please be careful out there guys !

Rubbish, of course it is not dangerous. The metal case is connected to safety earth and if you had built an amplifier yourself one of the first things you would have discovered was that to prevent ground loops and mains hum, there must be only one straight connection to earth and all others via the RCA plugs shielded cable.

My Denon amplifier is the only unit which is earthed directly to mains.

Look at your CD player, I bet it's only got a two pin mains plug and it will, more than likely, have a metal case to.

cirrus18 said:

Rubbish, of course it is not dangerous. The metal case is connected to safety earth and if you had built an amplifier yourself one of the first things you would have discovered was that to prevent ground loops and mains hum, there must be only one straight connection to earth and all others via the RCA plugs shielded cable.

My Denon amplifier is the only unit which is earthed directly to mains.

Look at your CD player, I bet it's only got a two pin mains plug and it will, more than likely, have a metal case to.

The SMPS 180W is a Class 2 device..... :angel: ... no need for any earthing.....

Jan-Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.