Wiring up the Hypex power supply SMPS 180?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just received this power supply plus two amplifier modules UCD180 which I'm about to wire up.
They don't give you much in the way of a wiring diagram and I'm not sure of the connections on J1, Auxiliary Output Connections.

Pin 1, SMPS Standby.
Pin 2, Amplifier Standby.
How these two pins connected? Presumably by a switch but from where to where.
I also want to wire up a couple of LEDs to show me when the power is on and when it is on standby. Info how to do this would be appreciated.
Lastly, on the power supply there is a blue potentiometer which I'm frightened to touch because don't know what it does. Is it to adjust the output voltage or what?
Your help here would be most appreciated. Many thanks.

cirrus18 said:
Just received this power supply plus two amplifier modules UCD180 which I'm about to wire up.
They don't give you much in the way of a wiring diagram and I'm not sure of the connections on J1, Auxiliary Output Connections.

Pin 1, SMPS Standby.
I also want to wire up a couple of LEDs to show me when the power is on and when it is on standby. Info how to do this would be appreciated.
Lastly, on the power supply there is a blue potentiometer which I'm frightened to touch because don't know what it does. Is it to adjust the output voltage or what?

PS. I spent a long time searching around for a suitable inexpensive cabinet to install the above in.
Everything fitted nicely into this box.

Box AB15
XB71N £7.99 In Stock

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=1728

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
cirrus18 said:

Pin 1, SMPS Standby.

Use the diagram they sent you to suplement the datasheets, and help you piece it all together, before you ever begin to wire it.

The datasheets already contain the information you need by themselves, the diagram they gave you should help avoid confusion.

It's clear to me that you didn't study the datasheets all that well, or you would know exactly what that blue pot is for.

Take your time with it and be sure you know what you're doing and it'll go great.

I like your inexpensive box. You should most likely drill some vent holes in the bottom and upper sides or top to ensure a long problem free operational life.

Re: Re: Wiring up the Hypex power supply SMPS 180?

classdphile said:

Use the diagram they sent you to suplement the datasheets, and help you piece it all together, before you ever begin to wire it.

The datasheets already contain the information you need by themselves, the diagram they gave you should help avoid confusion.

It's clear to me that you didn't study the datasheets all that well, or you would know exactly what that blue pot is for.

Hi Berns

It's easier said than done telling me to study the data sheets which sounds like a bit of a copout to me. Where have I heard that expression before?

Of course I have studied the data sheets, to no avail and that's why I'm asking on this forum to people who have much more knowledge than myself for help.

Here is a link to the only information they give you http://www.hypex.nl/docs/smps180.pdf.

If you care to read it, I couldn't find anything about wiring instructions or about the blue pot. Perhaps you would like to have a look and let me know what you think I should do.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Re: Re: Re: Wiring up the Hypex power supply SMPS 180?

cirrus18 said:

Hi Berns

It's easier said than done telling me to study the data sheets which sounds like a bit of a copout to me. Where have I heard that expression before?

Of course I have studied the data sheets, to no avail and that's why I'm asking on this forum to people who have much more knowledge than myself for help.

Here is a link to the only information they give you http://www.hypex.nl/docs/smps180.pdf.

If you care to read it, I couldn't find anything about wiring instructions or about the blue pot. Perhaps you would like to have a look and let me know what you think I should do.

Hi,

There's at least two clear mentions of exactly what the pot is for in that very datasheet, so don't tell me you studied it much. there's also some very clear warnings about it. You're just putting your new hardware or even yourself at risk if you don't, so I'm not going to tell you step by step because you need to understand what you're doing, as I 'm not there watching you do it.

Once you've truly studied it, and it may take reading it ten times if that's what it takes, you'll see that you can infer how to wire it based on an understanding of the pin functions which are well described if only mildly confusing given some seem to have similar names or related functions but if you think about them that much you'll begin to see they work out.

Couple that with the schematic they emailed you and I'm sure it's doable. Fact is it's a lot to take in all at one sitting when you first get it. Give it a day or two, re read it, let it sink in.

cirrus18 said:

Pin 1, SMPS Standby.
I found the datasheet to be fairly straight forward. I'll try and explain without reading the sheet to you.

Amplifier standby pin: Requires an external DC voltage that is less than VCC (positive rail). You can use the regulated 12V aux supply for this (J1, pin 4). You can use a switch, relay, microcontroller, or whatever you like to activate this function.

SMPS standby pin: requires an external DC voltage between 3.3V and 12V. You cannot use the onboard 12V aux supply for this, as when the SMPS is put into standby the 12V aux is turned off as well. You will need an external supply for this operation.

Wiring up a couple of LEDs: basic electricity, don't ever expect information like this to be included in a datasheet. The manufacturer expects you to know how to do this.

Blue potentiometer: This is adjustment for the rails. This is outlined in the datasheet in detail, including the requirement for safety precautions. Use something made of plastic/ceramic (non-conductive), or at the very least a plastic handle, and be very careful.

Hope this helps.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008

DcibeL said:

..Hope this helps.

Part of the idea behind a non conductive tool is to prevent imminent disaster from occuring "when" you slip and drag it across the PCB in a nervous reaction. If you don't count on it happening, you're not being very careful.

Better off using a toothpick, but I don't think he should have a need to play with adjusting it anyway.

DcibeL said:

Hope this helps.

Many thanks Dcibel for taking the time to write a reply to my question. It was very informative and I will now be able to get on with finishing the project.
A full and well thought out reply is what this forum should be about. So much better than a lecture don't you think?
Once again thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.