Fully digital amplifier. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2008, 09:34 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oon_the_kid

The nice part about tripath to diy is the simplicity of usage. One can easily buy a kit and modify from there. There are no programing needed, no support chips and just a normal analogue input.

The unfortunate thing, I believeabout fully digital system is, quite frequently they require you to have some sort of support chips to generate the volume control, remember the last setting of the volume control, booting up the system etc. There must be a reason for them to have so many legs.... So I would not probably do it unless there is a full kit or modify a preexisting set., since i know nuts about digital....

Oon
Well the reason I bring this up is that I thought the question was about fully digital amps and as far as i understand this can't be said for the tripath technology.

I have been using a TacT/Lyngdorf Millennium with great pleasure for quite a few years. I also realise that this of course not a kit amp but I remember very explicit data sheets and application notes from TI with designs for systems.

There seems to an awful lot of possibilities in the TAS5000 series, but perhaps it is more aimed at high volume OEMs.
Old 12th November 2008, 06:19 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Yup, I agree the Tripath is not fully digital, and I think the texas chip would probably be good. The only thing is, how are we going to DIY it. Afterall . This is the DIY forum, not so much the audio OEM designer forum, so it is natural that we tend to talk about things related to what we can build wth our hands...

But I wish somebody would sell a kit or a built board, so we can modify it from there...

Oon
Old 12th November 2008, 05:03 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Originally posted by iand

So I guess whatever product NAD come out with is likely to be the best candidate for class D/audiophile modding -- unless you want to try and reverse engineer a multichannel Chinese-sourced home cinema box...
Say..... you wouldn't happen to have the name of the home cinema box....

Oon
Old 12th November 2008, 09:37 PM   #34
iand is offline iand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oon_the_kid

Say..... you wouldn't happen to have the name of the home cinema box....

Oon
'fraid not -- and even if I did I couldn't tell you until it's released :-)

Ian

P.S. But as soon as anything is released I'll let you know....
Old 12th November 2008, 09:48 PM   #35
iand is offline iand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven

Or the D2Audio approach: http://www.d2audio.com/

Steven
There certainly seem to be similarities between the D2Audio and Zetex approaches, though the detailed circuits are undoubtedly different.

However it's possible that I can get information about the Zetex chips (which might mean there's some chance of DIYers getting hold of them at some point) because I know the Zetex guys; I doubt that anyone will do this for the D2Audio chips...

Ian

P.S. No promises, but at least more than zero chance :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!