41Hz Amp6 BASIC minireview - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2008, 11:36 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hehe Ouch
Nice tip - dealextreme is a fun store
Old 10th February 2009, 03:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Amp 6b Power Supply

Kristleifur,

Do you find that the 2A power supply is adequate? Seems a little small to me. I wonder if it would sound better with a bigger supply (5A?) or battery power? It's great that you find the sound to be so nice! I have a 41Hz Amp 9b here that I plan to build, but would also like to try an Amp 6 to compare with my HLLY amps. I have not figured out my power supply for the Amp 9 yet, but I believe it will need 24V to reach maximum power although they say it will run on 12v.
Old 10th February 2009, 03:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Amp 6b Power Supply

Quote:
Originally posted by p-macaudio
Kristleifur,

Do you find that the 2A power supply is adequate? Seems a little small to me. I wonder if it would sound better with a bigger supply (5A?) or battery power?
Hi

Well, 2A was enough for music. I did switch to a 90W supply later, but I didn't feel any definite difference. Music is less demanding than a full sine signal, or so I hear ... I don't know the exact definition of music or how much easier it is on the power supply though.
Old 24th July 2009, 02:22 AM   #14
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

As a newbie, I had trouble with amp6 (while winding copper wire broke) and amp6BASIC, messed up with the one of the "leg" on the tripath chip not lining up correctly.

Finally had someone else build the amp32 which was very good sound (similar to amp6 but with small SMD parts).

Although many 1st timers have suceeded in soldering the basic, I had trouble... Just input from a newbie. I noticed now there is already build amp6BASIC for about $25 more on their site.

gychang
Old 24th July 2009, 05:12 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gychang
As a newbie, I had trouble with amp6 (while winding copper wire broke) and amp6BASIC, messed up with the one of the "leg" on the tripath chip not lining up correctly.
I detest toroid winding. Some things are just not worth DIYing. I'd do it for a super-high-end build if there was no alternative, but only then. The same thing with battery packs - I built one the other day and it was even worse than winding filter toroids

It's pretty interesting that 41Hz are selling assembled amps, I hadn't seen that. I think there could be a bit of money in that for them. I can only see the Amp6-BASIC assembled. That's curious as the Amp6-BASIC is way easy to build... hmm. Interesting logistics probably. If there were a prebuilt Amp4 it would be a definite winner! Also if they offered pre-soldered surface mount chips, with the rest of the kit unassembled in bags, that would make the Amp32 a no-brainer for a lot of projects. Probably effective for 41hz too.
Old 24th July 2009, 05:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kristleifur

Also if they offered pre-soldered surface mount chips, with the rest of the kit unassembled in bags, that would make the Amp32 a no-brainer for a lot of projects. Probably effective for 41hz too.
excellent idea, I would buy one.

gychang
Old 24th July 2009, 06:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

One of the reason might be because of my Boominator build has created a very high demand for these amps. I saw at least 200 different boomboxes, and quite a few Boominator clones, at this years Roskilde Festival based on Tripath amps in some form. I bet that a ton of people mailed Jan asking him to offer an assembled version.
Old 24th July 2009, 08:33 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnus
One of the reason might be because of my Boominator build has created a very high demand for these amps. I saw at least 200 different boomboxes, and quite a few Boominator clones, at this years Roskilde Festival based on Tripath amps in some form. I bet that a ton of people mailed Jan asking him to offer an assembled version.

How's the feeling? Proud papa? Or annoyed at the imitators?
Old 24th July 2009, 11:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kristleifur

How's the feeling? Proud papa? Or annoyed at the imitators?
"Cause I'm Slim Shady, yes I'm the real Shady
All you other Slim Shadys are just imitating"

Nah ... I'm really proud to have caused a small revolution in audio quality and power saving ability for portable equipment.

I bet quite a few of those that have build one is biten by the DIY bug now, and thus our community can continue to grow
Old 26th July 2009, 03:28 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Pot and input selector switch?

is it relatively easy to install volume pot and input selector switch (to play CD, ipod, PC etc) on amp6Basic?

gychang

Hide this!Advertise here!