41Hz AMP10, Need Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,
I tried searching and lurked roughly a week here, I'm pretty new to DIY amps so I'm pretty overwhelmed at this point.

I've been looking at AMP10 and it seems perfect for my needs, I will be using 2ch Behringer B2031P speakers and Auzen X-Fi Prelude sound card. I have pretty good soldering skills:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Some BG NX/FK, Panasonic FM & Rubycon ZLH caps (few mods such as bypassed coupling caps, card sounds awesome), I'm still awaiting OPA637BP OP-AMPS, I fried last pair by accident :).

I don't quite understand this, I read info on AMP5 but it notes at the bottom of the page that lot of parts are not included such as transformers or volume knobs. So I choose AMP10.

Beside the enclosure, what else do I need after I assemble the AMP10 kit? I believe there are spots to solder my speaker cables, same goes for power cable or do I need AC to DC transformer? How would I adjust the volume, via potentiometers on the PCB? How does this amp compares to let's say Yamaha HTR-6130 receiver?

Thanks!

Hi, here's some info from the Amp10 assembly instructions - you can also download these for yourself when you've placed an order at 41hz.com:

Optional components
The following will at some stage be needed to complete the amplifier, but is not included in the kit:
Transformer. A toroid with a nominal voltage of +/-18VAC to +/-24VAC is recommended. More about this can be found later in this manual.
Fuse. The fuse should not be higher rated than the transformer maximal nominal load.
-Heat sink. Screws and heat conductive paste to mount the
heat sink. -It is recommended that you solder hookup wires to the board.
Optionally you can fit
Screw / solder terminals.
A mute/un-mute switch is recommended for thump-less power-on. You can wire this to a switch on your panel. Optionally use a 2.5 mm jumper (50 mil) on the board.
-You can optionally fit a volume control chip DS1802 on the board.

You'll need a fuse holder for the fuse I think, and an IEC power cord port. And a case :)

Try to obtain a copy of the instructions as soon as you can. I also recommend getting an Amp32 or Amp6-BASIC to start with to get a feel for things when doing a ground-up build with case, heatsink, power connections etc. etc. - they're dirt cheap, sound great, and make great gifts.

Edit - I think you can use a simple pot before the input stage to control the volume, but I'd get a buffered pot or use a preamp for that for max. goodness. You can plan that later.

Edit 2 - I haven't heard the Amp10, but my simple Amp6 has absolutely killed every amp I've compared it with, excepting some very nice custom valve monoblocks, which the Amp6 was approximately on equal footing with. I'd plan the early retirement of the old amp.

Edit 3 - Jeez, it sounds like I'm on the 41Hz payroll. I'd like to state that there is no affiliation. I only like the amps A Lot.

Edit 4 - Too much coffe. One last thing - check out the 41Hz forums too, they're not bad: http://41hz.com/Forums

kristleifur said:
Edit - I think you can use a simple pot before the input stage to control the volume, but I'd get a buffered pot or use a preamp for that for max. goodness. You can plan that later.

What do you mean by a buffered pot?

I too have been looking at 41Hz kits, either a 5, 10, or 10B (or maybe a 6 or 6B). I've heard that 41Hz's directions/assembly instructions are pretty crappy though (see here), so now I've started looking at gainclone kits from chipamp.com or audiosector...rrrrr, so many choices, so little time (and money, even as cheap as these are)

pinkfloyd4ever said:

What do you mean by a buffered pot?

Basically a very small preamp :) That may be inaccurate terminology though.

I too have been looking at 41Hz kits, either a 5, 10, or 10B (or maybe a 6 or 6B). I've heard that 41Hz's directions/assembly instructions are pretty crappy though (see here), so now I've started looking at gainclone kits from chipamp.com or audiosector...rrrrr, so many choices, so little time (and money, even as cheap as these are)

The instructions for the Amp3 and Amp6 are not elegant, but they do the job IMO. The "bigger" 41Hz amps' instructions assume that the builder can figure things out from the schematic and BOM. I think it's to scare off newbies - not that I necessarily agree with that.

nfm,
I've been reading alot on the 41hz forums the last few days, and I'd say the 10 is not exactly a newb project. I'd go with the 6-Basic, its build instructions are supposed to be great, wheras the 5 and 10 give some semi-veterans problems. Like others said, their support leaves much desired (you shouldn't need much for the 6B tho), however I'm not sure I'd agree it's to scare newbs There have been many reports of parts missing from kits and Jan (the guy who essentially is 41hz) ignores their emails and/or the contact links on the site don't work. Fortunately he sure as hell can design (more than) one hell of an amp. Plus the Amp6 is probably more often than not called the best sounding 41hz amp; in fact I'm now considering it a little more than the 5/10/10b

I don't know about the other amps but I would avoid the amp10...

I have built several vacuum tube amps and preamps (with success) and was unable to
get the Amp10 working. I was also thoroughly unimpressed with the support system(as in I
never received an answer to my questions).

When I attempted to garner info from other people on the 41hz forums I received a lot of conflicting info.

Anyway, the dead amp10 nows sits on a shelf waiting to be parted out.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi all

vaughn, I also faced a lot of difficulties building the AMP10 (*PS).

The pcb pads are really minimal in diameter, making a very thin soldering tip a necessity.
I had to use the presbyopic glasses of my wife in this one too!

My first AMP10 did not work.
Everything measured OK, but it didn't output any amplified signal.
I thought I had fried the chip (in the beggining I had used an x-former with a center tap in the secondary, which is a no go for this amp which has two rectifying bridges. X-former has to have two separate secondaries), so I ordered another kit.

This second amp measured and worked OK from the start.

Then I revisited the first one.
It turned out that the resistors which control the feedback of the chip modulation were not soldered properly. After resoldering them, everything works.

As for the 41Hz support, I can not comment. I have not applied for a problem solving.

Both kits I received were timely arrived and with no parts missing.

The AMP10 assembly instructions are not what I would expect.

The AMP10 electronic diagram has some components numbered differently from the instruction manual.

The 41Hz forum (AMP5 and AMP10 section) confused me as well.

If I can be of any help, just ask.

(*PS):On the other hand, the AMP6 I built two years ago , was really easy to build flowlessly.

Regards
George

Hi Guys,

you guys are right saying some things can be done in order to improve the assembly instructions that go with the amps of 41hz. But there are certain hazards Jan (guy behind 41hz) has to cope with too that make it harder to make the kits accessible to everyone.

For instance copycats, that's why there are no component numbers on the PCB's.

Also spammers, the email box of 41hz had to be highly secured against spammers. The support system of 41hz also gets flooded quite badly, 41hz kits are amongst the more complex designs that come in kits and some of them can only be built by experienced people. The prices of these amps on the other hand invite lots of not so experienced diyers to "give it a try", many times with not much success.

Many of the problems I've seen there on the forums were rather due to poor workmanship than poor instructions. I never blindly read the instructions, but use the chip datasheet as well. Lots of component values can be chosen to have the amp operate in a way you desire. There are in my experience always components left over in the end, I've never come short. A few 41hz forum members didn't even know of the existence of datasheet, nor did they use a multimeter...

The only thing I can say is if there are flaws you stumble upon ion the assembly instructions then post about it on the 41hz forums, there are guys there that read about it and have an open window through Jan's spamfilter. Jan is always happy to correct errors and update the assembly instructions. Let's make the kits more accessible to anyone together!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.