diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   Best bang for buck T-amp? Trends, sureelectronics, 41Hz? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/130557-best-bang-buck-t-amp-trends-sureelectronics-41hz.html)

pinkfloyd4ever 29th September 2008 10:26 AM

Best bang for buck T-amp? Trends, sureelectronics, 41Hz?

Or should I say best fidelity for the buck?(including an amp's potential for improvement with modding) I'm putting together my first real speaker setup, and it's gotta be on a budget since I'm a college student. I bought some Insignias and I have decent DAC that I use with headphones (the Alien if anyone here is familiar with it). So the amp is the last thing I need, and from what I've gathered a T-amp is the best way to go hi-fi on a budget. I know the 41Hz is totally DIY and the sureelectronics is best with some modification, and that the Trends can be improved alot with some mods. I wouldn't call myself a seasoned DIYer, but I have built 2 CMoys , 2 Alien DACs, and 2 Millett Maxes, so I'm fairly confident with a soldering iron.

I tried searching but everything kept coming up with no results?????

Buckapound 29th September 2008 12:38 PM

I think the fact that you can't find a lot of strong opinions about which is best here on these discussions reflects the fact that people are generally satisfied with all the small Tripaths, once they're modified with proper input and power reservoir caps.

So, the choice comes down to build or buy, with a case or find your own, etc.

For my money, the 4i Hz amp 6 is great for an easy build and with a little more power than the SI, Trends, etc. Or, the amp 32 has a similar sound (identical?), but being all surface mounted parts is a good deal more challenging and requires a sharp-pointed iron and equally sharp eyes, but the price is even righter. With either of those you get to build your own case in a way that will amaze and astound your friends.

--Buckapound.

albin 29th September 2008 01:41 PM

I built a 41hz amp32 and loved it's hear through quality,but i certainly found it a challenge to build.when a dog related accident killed it i tried a sure electronics board,same chip,same sound.....no way,however after i altered it's a board a little i found it's sound improved, and it"s certainly easier to mess with something ready made.
so which is cheapest
no seriously, the're both absoluteley amazing
regards

justblair 29th September 2008 02:17 PM

I haven't tried the others, but I have been astounded with the Sure boards. Very easy to work on.

I am documenting my board changes on my website as I go along.

There is also an extensive thread in this forum on the Sure boards. Those that have compared them with other kits have been enthuisiastic about the sure boards.

pinkfloyd4ever 1st October 2008 02:03 PM

thanks for the replies guys. Great website, justblair! For their reputation, it seems like their isn't a whole lot of info about the 41Hz amps around here..or am I missing it?

Davet 1st October 2008 03:15 PM

41HZ T-Amps

I have built 2 41HZ AMP6 T-Amps. The AMP6 puts out 25 watts which is a little more power than most of the other T-Amps.

The kit is easy to build it but it takes some patience. If you don't have experience with surface mount components it takes some practice. I found that the second build went extremely fast because I had the experience with the SMDs on the first amp.

Overall the 41HZ amps are for the most part sound fine when completed. I have found the major sonic impact to be yielded by different input capacitors. I have tried other tweaks, but the effort was greater than the return.

The 41HZ amps are fine kits, IMO. If you want to bypass the use of a preamp you will have to purchase a variable resistor vor volume control. You will also need a power transformer to make a functional unit. The AMP^ has it own onboard powere rectification. Add a box/chassis, input jacks, and speaker binding posts and you are in business.

The power supply for the AMP6 is different from the other T-Amps. If you are interedted in the 41HZ offerings I would suggest that you check out the forum at 41HZ you will find a wealth of information and answers to any questions you might have regarding 41HZ products.

col 3rd October 2008 10:31 AM

Whats your budget? If you are confident with a soldering iron and have a temperature controlled iron then the 41hz kits are the way to go. For more info go read the 41hz forums.

I have recently built an amp9-basic 4x100w using a $70 SMPS of ebay the thing rocks!

http://minirig.org.au/2008/05/28/min...om-amp9-basic/

I had bad experience with the 4x100W sureelectronics hissing (not tripath though).

col.

justblair 3rd October 2008 10:34 AM

I have read about the 100w units hissing, I don' think anyone found a solution to that one from memory.

The Tripath 2024 based boards they do are most definately hiss free! They do have a DC offset issue, but that is a very easy and no cost issue to fix.

col 3rd October 2008 11:02 AM

yeah, I think sure electronics have stopped selling the 4*100W now.

With the 41hz amp9-basic I have done away with passive crossover components in the speakers and I'm using the 4 channels to power the tweeter and the midrange using a active linkwitz riley crossover.

I have now even started to use one of the 41hz PS2-P+INV power supply to step down from my single ended 24v SMPS to provide +/-15v rails to power the electronic crossover board. Which is from Rod Elliot ESP P09b. http://sound.au.com

col.

pinkfloyd4ever 3rd October 2008 08:46 PM

I think I'm looking at either Amp 5 or 6, cause I don't feel comfortable soldering a surface mount Tripath chip yet. I know the amp 5 is 2x100w and the 6 is 2x25w. They both have an onboard power supply, correct? If most of the sound comes from the first watt, what's the advantage of having 100w over 25? Again, I'll be using this with Insignias which as you probably all know are 8ohms and 90dB/W and I'll be using them in a fairly small apartment