Help me out here guys!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Planning my first journey into diy class D (on a shoestring budget)

Down to two affordable kits: NewclassD and Coldamp (yes I do know the issues with the Coldamp postings but what's a poor peasant to do)

Has anyone here been able to have a listen to either or preferably both and can give a me a reasonable assesment of how they sound in a 2 channel hi-fi system.

I'm also looking for a nice (cheap) case to build a pair of these class d kits into monoblock amps. Prefer the shoebox format. Any suggestion on this? Bear in mind that I will be using a linear supply so will need a bit of height. Also to take into consideration that I am in the UK so lots of shipping, duty and tax to pay from international suppliers.

Looking forward to your speedy responses and recommendations.

Thanks guys

John

Well, we also have enclosures at coldamp.
MK12 is a small case that takes advantage of the small size of our powerful switching PSUs. Depending on the model you choose and the number of BP4078 modules inside, you can build stereo or mono amplifiers up to 2x400W/4ohm or 1200W/4ohm (bridge mode, music rating).
If you need more info, just send us an email.

Best regards,
Sergio

raintalk said:
Hey - how about trying some UK products and letting us know if they're worth pursuing?

I'd consider the Magnatec:
http://www.amplifier.co.uk/

And these look interesting.
http://www.prismaudio.co.uk/Prism_frameset.htm

Hi raintalk,

Thanks for the heads-up on these. Had a quick look, seems like they are more into guitar amp or industrial amps so I don't know how they will lie in a hi-end audio system but will follow up tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted

ssanmor said:
Well, we also have enclosures at coldamp.
MK12 is a small case that takes advantage of the small size of our powerful switching PSUs. Depending on the model you choose and the number of BP4078 modules inside, you can build stereo or mono amplifiers up to 2x400W/4ohm or 1200W/4ohm (bridge mode, music rating).
If you need more info, just send us an email.

Best regards,
Sergio

Hi Sergio,

NOTE! I said linear supply. So I think your case MK12 is too thin. (h)

NOTE! I said monoblock amps. So I think your case is too large. (w x d)

NOTE! I said cheap. So I think your case is too expensive (2 x €140)

But thank you anyway. Still thinking about your modules though.

raintalk said:
Hey - how about trying some UK products and letting us know if they're worth pursuing?

I'd consider the Magnatec:
http://www.amplifier.co.uk/

And these look interesting.
http://www.prismaudio.co.uk/Prism_frameset.htm

Hey raintalk,

The Magnetec look to be the way to go. Prices are about £388/$715 for a pair of the 600W modules. Have talked to their distributors and he says that he has used them in a head to head with some big Krells and they blew the Krell out of the water. He was also using Wilson speakers on the end of them. So if he is telling the truth then these seem to be just what I need.

jaydeecee said:

Hey raintalk,

The Magnetec look to be the way to go. Prices are about £388/$715 for a pair of the 600W modules. Have talked to their distributors and he says that he has used them in a head to head with some big Krells and they blew the Krell out of the water. He was also using Wilson speakers on the end of them. So if he is telling the truth then these seem to be just what I need.

Cool!
Let us know your results.
They do look good.

Just thought you might like to see my new Class D amps. Just waiting on delivery of two power transformers, the rest is done. Can't wait to fire them up.

Attachments

• class d1a.jpg
    class d1a.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 447
John, that enclosure looks really neat and almost like a desk drawer!

Where did you get it from if I may ask.

Also, out of curiosity, is there any reason you didn't look at Hypex stuff? I'm on the verge of buying from them (had only seen coldamp before but did hear of some questionable postings).

Cheers

tfboy said:
John, that enclosure looks really neat and almost like a desk drawer!

Where did you get it from if I may ask.

Also, out of curiosity, is there any reason you didn't look at Hypex stuff? I'm on the verge of buying from them (had only seen coldamp before but did hear of some questionable postings).

Cheers

Hi "tfboy"

I designed the enclosure based on the dimensions of the amplifier module and the toroidals that I am having made (www.canterburywindings.co.uk) and had a local metal fabrication company build them from aluminium sheet.

I was going to go down the Hypex route but thought that they might be a bit expensive for their higher power modules so started looking at the Coldamp and NewClassD but then read some not so encouraging comments about both.

As you will see, "raintalk" suggested I look at some UK class D amps and I was bitten by these at www.amplifier.co.uk especially after their retailer told me that they had made a Krell sound quite ordinary.

The amplifier comes on it's own dedicated heatsink which you can see in the pictures. Once the transformers arrive (700VA) and installed then they will be ready to roll, all the other wiring is done.

I'll keep you posted.

I don't know which Hypex units you intend to buy but this whole project has cost me £600 for everything.

Cheers John

raintalk said:
Very nice John!
Stylish to say the least.
I'm looking forward to you finishing and giving a listening report.

I just visited the EcoTec site http://www.amplifier.co.uk/
They have some very promising products. It's great that these guys are DIY friendly.

:cheers:

Thanks "raintalk"

Yes, these people are very helpful and their amplifiers are virtually ready to use apart from the casework.

I elected to get my own transformers but the Amplifier Co will even supply a unit that incorporates a dedicated transformer so if your not very familiar with DIY then it makes it so simple, which is a bonus as I have seen guys on here asking for info for connecting up Hypex units.

As soon as my transformers arrive I will get them installed and post a few more pictures of the innards but I think I best let them burn-in for a while before assesing them.

Attachments

• class d7a.jpg
    class d7a.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 277
jaydeecee said:

Hi raintalk,

Thanks for the heads-up on these. Had a quick look, seems like they are more into guitar amp or industrial amps so I don't know how they will lie in a hi-end audio system but will follow up tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted

Hi guys.

Just to let you know that I too have destroyed a Krell reference system with these Magnatec "swines". The sound is awesome. And the Wilson's I used was the WATT/Puppy8. Just to set the record straight! By the way. Complete modules are available with schematics for a linear PSU from Arcaydis who are the sales agents for these little gems. sales@arcaydis.com

raintalk said:
Very nice John!
Stylish to say the least.
I'm looking forward to you finishing and giving a listening report.

I just visited the EcoTec site http://www.amplifier.co.uk/
They have some very promising products. It's great that these guys are DIY friendly.

:cheers:

Raintalk,

I have now had the amp sorted by the guys at EcoTec. I had blown a couple of components and they replaced them and then checked all the parameters on a scope and also did a soak test at a full 600w for 5 minutes just to make sure it was up to spec. While I was there they also checked the other channel just to be sure. They couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.

Now the really good part: these amps are sublime. I have owned NuForce Reference 9 Class D amps but these are so much better. I have been burning them in and they just improve all the time. I am hearing things on my CD's that I have never heard before and the soundstage is wonderfully dimensional. It is difficult to describe them but they certainly aren't harsh they are more tube-like but not, if that makes sense. I have never heard Hypex or Icepower or even Tripath amps for that matter but I just can't imagine any of them being superior to these Ecotec amplifiers. They are the audio find of the century as far as I am concerned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.