diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   1000 watt Amp Modules (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/129927-1000-watt-amp-modules.html)

Zero Cool 17th September 2008 08:48 PM

1000 watt Amp Modules

Who makes ready to run high powered switcher amp modules? I need something that will easily run 1000watts into 8 ohms and will handle 4 and 2 ohm loads for an industrial application. I need something that is stable and reliable under a variety of conditions including low AC line voltage down to 90VAC(at reduced power is OK). heavy line sag under power, noise immunity etc.

Any suggestions??? im not familiar with who is making amps these days.

Zc

Tekko 18th September 2008 11:58 AM

B&O ICEpower 1000ASP. Get them on ebay.

Zero Cool 18th September 2008 03:30 PM

ahhhh found some on ebay. nice. those are 1000 at 4 ohms but might suffice.

Any US sources for these?

Thanks

Zc

theAnonymous1 18th September 2008 03:54 PM

You probably won't find another source period. B&O only sells to OEMs who are not supposed to resell the modules to the general public.

Zero Cool 18th September 2008 03:55 PM

well thats good cause these are going to an OEM actually!

Nisbeth 18th September 2008 11:30 PM

Beware that these are designed for audio use. Depending on what your application is (motor driver or similar?) they will probably not be able to sustain the kind of power you need. Max. continous output with a sinewave input is limited to 1/8th power so unless your input signal is something approaching an audio signal, they will overheat and go into protection mode within a matter of minutes.

/U.

fredos 19th September 2008 12:53 PM

Whats your application? We already subcontract class d amplifier and switching supply for industrial application, like heating floor test driver (10 KW amplifier), heating floor fault finder (1KW amplifier), induction boiler (3KW amplifier), all are for continuous sine wave duty. We still also built pro audio class d amplifier!

Pashley 19th September 2008 02:58 PM

coolamp make a class-D module rated 260W into 8 ohms and 400 into 4. Looks good and I've seen some enthusiastic net,noises about them, but I've no actual experience.

Bridged pair gives 800 into 8; I don't think it will work into 4. They also have a switching power supply rated at 800 watts. One PS + 2 modules gets you close to what you need.

ak_47_boy 19th September 2008 06:57 PM

I would buy or make a small amplifier like 10watts that operates at a lowish frequency like 80khz and modify it to drive the gates of two monster mosfets. This way you will never blow your mosfets or worry about overheating.

I assume distortion does not matter much.

Zero Cool 20th September 2008 12:14 AM

actually this is an industrial audio application. mostly LF stuff. High power. portable etc. The OEM i contract too has signed up with B&O and has requested an evaluation unit for the ASP1000 I am curious to see how well these will stand up to varied conditions. line noise etc. poor power. the load they will see will be 4-8 ohm subwoofers But might be many drivers in series parallel. Its a high volume application and high back EMF is a possibility.

The ASP1000 is smaller then i had hoped for. I was hoping for 1000 watts at 8 ohms. Anyone know if two modules could be bridged?? I don't know if these will allow that.

Specs do mention 2 ohm operation but no specs are given as such. I would imagine that in bridged mode 8 ohms would be as low as you could run it. still 2kw into 8 ohms is pretty good.

reading the spec. the ASp1000 shows it can run a second 1000 series module of the internal power supply. I wonder how well it will run two modules??

I will dig into the spec a bit more. where did you see anything about it not being able to run at full power for extended periods of time? with a 3-6db crest factor these will be running maybe 1/3 power mostly i would bet.

Zc