1000 watt Amp Modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's called forced air cooling, as opposed to convectional cooling where an air with higher temperature flows up.

Jan-Peter said:

If you mount a UcD180 and a UcD700 in the right way, you do not have to synchronize them.

What right way do you mean?

I mean leakage of a carrier frequency signal from one amp to another causing in audio band products of intermodulation.

Wavebourn said:
It's called forced air cooling, as opposed to convectional cooling where an air with higher temperature flows up.

I mean leakage of a carrier frequency signal from one amp to another causing in audio band products of intermodulation.

Proper mounting is following our mounting rules, http://hypex.nl/docs/wiring.pdf

We have many customers who use multiple UcD modules in one case. Check the products from Meridian,
http://media.meridian-audio.com/datasheets/g_series/G95ds-a4.pdf

And a C51 10 channel amplfieir with UcD180.

http://media.meridian-audio.com/datasheets/c-series/C51-ds.pdf

Jan-Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Wavebourn said:

Or forced convection Vs natural convection. Either way it does require the additional 2 bit fan and when that fails, so much for the disco estaying alive. That must be why ;-)

The heterodyning effect you refer to is only problematic with untamed EMI, in other words it's not a problem for the Hypex modules, and is what puts them in a class all by themselves, still called D.

In the face of high EMI synching them won't do much in alleviating such issues anyway. Further there's a real downside in running modules designed for self oscillating clocked. While you can do it, don't.

The only time you'd want to do it at all is when used in close quarters with an AM receiver so that it could be clocked away from the band of present interest.

The right way as far as I know just falls to your basic implementation issues, good supplies, layout, wiring, and careful attention to grounding. As EMI is already taken care of they require little more additional expertise than for what makes your average decent amp of other classes. This makes the ucd modules really robust and easy to use, provided they aren't compromised with mods etc. Your job will be more difficult with a SMPS but you'll be solving those same issues in the same way through an equal level of refinement.

Others of no known name pretend EMI doesn't exist and throw you a synch pin.. but alas, such cake remains a lie.

Hypex 2KW module

First measurement of the Hypex 2KW amp showed an incredible -126db noise floor below full power. With a fully balanced drive from and measured by an Audio Precision ATS-2

My power transformer lash up did not give the full rated supply voltage so I only got 1700W steady state sine wave into 4 ohms. However, with a 20% duty cycle tone burst, I did get over 2000W into 4 ohms. Which I believe is more representative as we o not listen to sine waves anyway. However, my calculations do show that if the supply voltage was at the rated level, the amplifier would have delivered the rated 2000W steady state and more.

THD+N is an almost dead straight line across the audio band, dropping even lower above 10K. And the levels were very low. Under 0.01% until fairly high power levels.

FFT response quite clean, with each harmonic lower than the previous one. No big spikes at higher harmonics.

Quite impressive.

Power supply configuration is a little more complex than the smaller UcD modules but nothing too difficult to implement.

And it worked first try with no surprises.

Listening tests soon to follow. But I am impressed so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.