Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2008, 11:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Pbassred
Default H class amp sounding "boxy"

So, with gigs approaching and one of my old MOSFET amps (K135/J50) experienceing an embarrassing failure, I spent the money for reliability on a PV2600 H class amp. At 500W per channel.

The thing is:- at living room volumes, the Peavey sounds thin by comparrason. Is that a feature of Class H? Would it tend to fatten up as the power increases? My MOSFET sounds correct compared to my Headphones.

I cant do a real check until I get an "excuse". Even soaking up 12db with my L-pad leaves a lot of headroom. Since My guitarist just broke his wrist, I won't have an excuse for a couple of months.
Old 21st August 2008, 07:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maybe it is a general probelm of Peavey amps due to not very generous PSU dimensioning.

I remeber that we compared a Peavey CS 800 to the first generation of the Mosfet 1000 a quarter of a century ago. And the Mosfet 1000 was definitely better regarding low-end punch and control.

Regards

Charles
Old 21st August 2008, 10:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Pbassred
Hi Charles,
I don't think that peavey suffers from under-side power supplies. This happens at LOW volume. Since my post I ran a test with a 12db L-pad. It sounds better. Maybe it needs to "lean into the wind" a bit before it settles down. I don't know why this would be so.

Hide this!Advertise here!