Class D - about current consumption from the supply - a question folks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When operating, class D switches the supply voltage and the heat is small...because on and off and using fets...but about the curent flowing from the supply without speaker connected?

Is the current consumption, from the supply, drained in a constant way WITH and WITHOUT load (speaker) connected?

I have suspections that not.... but i have doubts, and some folks asked me that and i do not know what to answer.

In my imagination you need to insert the speaker to have big current consumption...but i may be wrong...very confused i am in this moment about this subject.

Can you help me folks, to help brazilian folks about that?

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• imagem 591.jpg
    imagem 591.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 366
Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted, but I couldn't resist this thread. :)

Theoretically speaking, an ideal switched mode amplifier would consume no power internally - its average input power draw would be exactly equal that provided to the load (so no load - no power draw).

In actuality, there will always be some small amount of housekeeping power (typically a few watts) and some output f C V squared losses and possibly some shoot through losses if near zero dead time timing is used in an effort to minimize distortion. - a.s.

Attachments

• horses-ass2.jpg
    horses-ass2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 372
I've found that on self-oscillating amps designed for PA applications (using fairly long dead times - distortion only has to stay below 1%), then the dominant cause of the idle current in the output stage is the ferrite losses in the output filter. Even with no load, you're still magnetising the output filter chokes in one direction, then the other direction at perhaps 300kHz. Moving to the Ferroxcube 'Polo Mint' gapped ferrite toroids, I see a useful reduction in idle current.
Certainly in 'ucd' style amps, the quiescent current tends to drop when a load is connected to the amp. (With no input signal obviously).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.