TA10.1 2ohm stable???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can see power ratings for the TA10.1 at 4 and at 6ohms but not at 2 ohms.

Should I assume it is not safe to drive a 2ohm load with this amp.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I want to drive 2XEminence alpha 15a 4ohm editions (per channel, therefore four drivers overall) in parallel via a subwoofer line out, open baffle in fact.

That is interesting. I only read the basics of series and parallel recently so I'll take your word for it.

It sounds like 2ohms may be a bad idea after all.

Thanks again.

P.S. Would I better of driving 2X8ohm alpha 15a Drivers in parallel, giving 4ohm resistance, OR going with 2X4ohm alpha 15a drivers in series. I'm thinking the former.

Dcibel, I take it you think the 8ohm drivers in parallel are a better bet than the 4ohms in series. Adding another TA10.1 is an idea but then I am trying to spend my money slowly on this hobby. I was really interested to see new products from TA but there has been no word anywhere that I can find ):

Another thought, if I later want to passively cross the 8ohm alpha 15a drivers to my B200s with a 4.7mH inductor as others seem to be doing, how should I alter this to account for the 4ohm edition alpha 15a drivers, if I were to buy those that is?

To answer my own question, a search on this forum seems to me to show that the inductor before the single woofer should half in size if going from 8ohms to 4ohms. Therefore, instead of using a 4.7mH inductor (after the B200) I could use a 2.5mH inductor!? Any one care to confirm this?

SAC said:
To answer my own question, a search on this forum seems to me to show that the inductor before the single woofer should half in size if going from 8ohms to 4ohms. Therefore, instead of using a 4.7mH inductor (after the B200) I could use a 2.5mH inductor!? Any one care to confirm this?

That's correct; half the impedance would require half the inductor value.

Here is a simple crossover you can play with......

http://www.lalena.com/Audio/Calculator/XOver/

Thanks for the input all. I am slowly been sucked into this hobby and will have to do more study to understand the different crossovers offered to me on the lalena website link the Anonymous1 provided. I didn't originally intend to learn this stuff, and reinvent the wheel, but I'm quite fussy about my wheels:)

This forum is a great resource and I am glad to finally tap into it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.