Portable HIFI ( or somthing close )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there Dear members of DIYAUDIO.

As Diehard HiFi lovers i think everyone has made atleast one solution for enjoying hifi quality sound while outside the house.

Class D amplification is interesting for this due to its high efficiancy, i know from experiance that portable valve radio's eat more battery's than anyone is willing to carry to there picknic.

What kind of solutions have you guy's came up with for that trip to the beach, battery powered shed amp or any other kind of portable hifi thing, please show it here so we can all enjoy and learn some things!

Ill kick it off then with my little ultra portable Class- T amp
At a minor 400 grams in alu housing pretty neat, but im still thinking of a good speaker solution ( any sugestions, more than welcome ) probably bass reflex, coz a TML will cause a bit too much size and weight.

Greetings from Shenzhen / Holland

Attachments

• dsc00521.jpg
    dsc00521.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,332
Re: Portable HIFI

ArjenShenzhen said:
Hi there guy's,

Am i the onlyone that makes portable solutions?
i can't believe it! dont be shy, please show me your design's
and solutions, im curios, as ive seen some impressive thing on DIYaudio.com

Hi Arjen, take a look at the "Boominator" thread :bigeyes:
Now they do have some 'portable' solutions:cool:

ArjenShenzhen said:
Ive looked at it, but its not somthing i put in my luggage when i go travel or go to the beach

im thinking of small stuff used in the office or at other places during travel

portable, as in Portable Portable ;)

Ah, but what about speakers? No good having a top notch portable amp without the equivalent sound reproduction? ;)

Portable speakers

Aha! making a mini amp is less than half the challange, small speakers are hard to make, especially when your a bass head like myself.

So ive come up with numerouse solutions, among witch glass transmission line speakers alu housings and wooden housings.

ill show you what i made today, i found some 4 CM diam drivers 8 Ohms and 3 watts no further specs known to man, but for 5 RMB and it was the best looking i could find, Quality is very hard to find here.... Very hard

Anyway ill show you the result.

also the Glass mini TML ( 1" driver full range ) also sounded pretty damn good for the power i threw at it

Attachments

• dsc00526.jpg
    dsc00526.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,234
Re: Glass TML Smalll size

ArjenShenzhen said:
Getting glass cut to size is eazy, cheap and fun! this is a GLass TML with a 3" driver, i also have one with 3" drivers and 4" drivers.

:D I wouldn't take them to the beach if I were you :D

I like your inventiveness, they look pretty cool :cool:

I got my hands on one of those HiVi Swans t-amp jobbies and it came with some dinky 3" drivers in 5" spheres that sound pretty good but I bet they would sound better in your TML

Got the boards from Arjen yesterday and I must say that the quality is really quite good:D
Good layout and no clutter, good stock input caps as well.

Amazing how much you can get for so little;)

Thanks for the boards Arjen, these are going to go into a bi-amped project that I have on my desk... the sure boards are going back in the drawer;)

Here are some pix of my ultraportable solution. A friend of mine had a speaker thingy for his mobile, which inspired me to build something really portable, since my last solution was kind of heavy (estimated 30 lbs).

Tried it first with the 2W Mono ClassD from sureelectronics, but these things really hisssssssssssssss darn loud. Got my money back from them though, because the amps are virtually unusable. Great customer service form sureelectronics btw!!!

Then I got myself the 2x8 W ClassD board, had to switch to 8x1.5V, but I think below 12V there's nothing going on anyway.

Speakers are $3.50 ones from Intertechnik with aluminum-membrane. Looks nice with the alu box I think.

Total cost roughly $15.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I've posted this elsewhere before, but this is my main portable unit.

Has one Amp32 in it right now, and will be adding a second to power a second set of speakers. Trying to figure out the best way to get something that puts out some real bass in a box about the same size that it can be stacked on top of. Currently thinking of two 4" Dayton Midbass in a sealed box.

Dayton ND105-4 4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm | Parts-Express.com

Open to other ideas if anyone has them.

Arjen, I've got one of your buffers which I've built into a box with a dock and a 12v=>5v DC-DC converter and can use that when I want to. Seems to improve the sound of the iPod's line out, especially with a little more solid bass, and perhaps a better articulated treble. I'll get some pics and post that, too.

--Buckapound

Attachments

• Bbox3Fc1mr.jpg
    Bbox3Fc1mr.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 169
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.