hypex UcD400 step by step

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
this is my first message ,
I I want to build tow mono block on hypex UcD400,
I dont have background of electronic.
I want to order the necessary parts (UcD400HG TR400 Power supply HG mono) did I forget something ?
but i am afraid that I will not succeed to connect everything together.
does somebody can to explain step by step how to coonect the all part together ?
if there pictures in the explain it will be excellent.
thanks
maor

If you switch on both UcD400 monoblocks suimultaneously, then a soft start is advisable. If you power up one first and then the other one a few seconds later, you could probably do without.

The inrush current depends on your mains transformer and on the size of your power supply capacitors, so there is no fixed rule. In most cases, you would not need a soft start with the UcD180, whereas with the UcD700 it is a must. With the UcD400 you are in borderline territory.

Up to about 500 VA, you can usually risk to go without soft start, unless you have exceptionally large capacitors.

You certainly know that you need a soft start if your main fuse blows or your lights dim when you switch on your amplifier.

Also, having a soft-start will extend the life of the power switch. Inductance of toroidal transformers causes increased arcing in the power switch which can wear it down faster over time. Ok yeah I know switches are cheap... but personally I like having something I know won't need fixing for a very long time.

i built the same. the color coded pic I used to assemble.

400hg.jpg
[/IMG]

hi,
I have another questions,
I read more a little story about people how build the HYPEX
and they use CAP6 instead of the UcD supply HG or the UcD Supply HG Mono,
what is the CAP6? and is it better from the other ?

where can I buy Transformer 400VA ?
thanks
maor

hi again,
doe's some one know alternative power supply to hypex ?
can somebody tell me what prototype of transforner 300VA I need to 400UcD ?
becouse i see many model like (300VA, 2 X 25V ) (300VA, 2 X 30V
) ( 300VA, 2 X 35V )
I add picture of someone how build mono UcD400
he use tranforner 500VA without softstart, how ?
and he doesent use the hypex power supply (can someone recognize the power supply ?)
Best regards

Attachments

• hypex1234.jpg
    hypex1234.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,797
Well, the 500VA transformer that guy used for a single UCD400 is way overkill.

About 250-300VA per UCD400 should be plenty with sufficient capacitance on the power supply.

You will need a transformer with 2 x 40V, give or take a few.

While you could build your own power supply, I'd recommend for a beginner to use the Hypex one. The Hypex power supply has circuitry for speaker DC protection. Personally I wouldn't build an amplifier without this sort of protection.

Hi,
1.is it necessary to use a Toroidal transformer?
2.can I use regular transformer in a different box ?
box to the hypex modul + power suply, and another box to the transformer?
3. does the hypex case must be close hermetic?
or i need case with hole ?
becose i heard that digital amp must be in closed box,
4. in your opinion 300VA 42-42 to UcD will be good enough
even in adjective music ?
tanks
maor

1. no, other types of transformers will work as long as they have the required voltage and power ratings

2. I assume by "regular" you mean an EI-core transformer? You can. There are advantages to going toroidal though, such as less heat and most significantly reduced weight, but there's nothing stopping you from using other kinds if it fits your design.

3. It is recommended to have some ventilation, either in the form of holes or forced air cooling (fans). Although the Class D amplifier modules are very efficient, they do have components that can heat up quite a bit in an enclosed space.

4. Yes, 300VA per module will be fine for any type of music. The only thing it won't be suitable for is pure tones or sine waves at full RMS output power, but the modules are not intended for continuous use under such conditions anyhow.

Hello,
I decide in the end to build mono UcD180,
And I need your help,
I want to use Torodial transformer 300Va with 33
But I make search on the internet but I didn't find Torodial transformer that will match.
I also search in http://www.antekinc.com/
Maybe I miss something?
I add pictue of the transformer that i need from the hypex site
in the pic writte 42vac but to 180 is 33vac
Can u please put a link to site that I can buy the transformer
Best regards
maor

Javin5 hi,
in the hypex site the sales only TR180 160VA
I need 300VA.
but if u see the the TR180 has 12 cable.
4 in the incomming 230vac(black,white,blue and brown)
in the outside there is 7 cable (Grey,volet and Grey 13-0-13)
RED, RED 30-0
and Yellow,yellow 30-0
and Green/Yellow for Earth Screening
I need 300VA like the 180TR(160VA)
can some one help me with this
tanks
maor

Attachments

• tr180.gif
    tr180.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 897
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.