SMPS for class D module - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2008, 01:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile SMPS for class D module

Hi.

As I saw some posts asking for switching supplies for class D modules I send you a photo of my own setup.
I am using some Hypex Ucd400 modules to power a pair of big 3-way boxes.
I have got my supply from here( I have paid 130Ä for it): www.redrocksaudio.es. Actually my supply has a main output for 60+60 volts ,another one for 30+30 volts and 12+12 volts for low power aux circuits and it has PFC on input also. I am using it with 3 Ucd400 connected and it works without problem so I took away my heavy toroidal analog supply by now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modulo11.jpg (78.5 KB, 2800 views)
Old 22nd May 2008, 03:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Good to see another SMPS available, and for a good price. I've sent an email to them to ask if it is available with different voltages. ( I want around +-45v for my Truepath) I'll let you all know the response......
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I NewTesla,

Very intresting,

Why did you choose these, an not (for example) thecoldamp ones?

How did you order these? And what is the price?

Thank You

Peter
Old 23rd May 2008, 08:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I just got a reply from red rocks audio saying the price for the SMPS is $204 USD and it is no problem to supply it with different voltages.

Regarding ordering, I emailed info@redrocksaudio.es and they replied with a PDF order form.

the data sheet http://www.redrocksaudio.es/files/SMPS6060PFC.pdf
states the swithcing frequency is 125khz, which I assume is a good starting point for an audio grade SMPS.

I think I'm going to try one of these out. Unfortunately this will be for my first ever DIY amp, so I wouldn't be able to give any useful comparison to any other products/designs.

edit:

I've just been checking out some of their other products, and came across this:
http://www.redrocksaudio.es/files/miniPROCII.pdf
Digital active crossover with EQ.

I have asked for pricing on this also.

Old 23rd May 2008, 10:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi:

The reasons to choose this and not the coldamp one were:

-PFC stage on input
-Better price
-No PWM control but quasi resonnant fixed frec control so less EMI radiation and noise.
-More power and no problems without load.

I saw it at FrankfurtMesse exhibition I left my email and they sent me a price list and an order form after.
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I just received the price list and the digital crossover (2 way) is $128 USD. I am waiting a response regarding a conversion module to 4 way. This seems like a very resonable price, considering the time delay and eq functionality built in.

Their SMPS seems to include the required +-12v supply for the crossover module also.

It is also worth noting that the quantity discounts are quite resonable. Especially for the SMPS 11 and up. Maybe a group buy is in order.
Old 23rd May 2008, 04:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just got a reply stating the module to convert the crossover to 4 way "will be available around third week of July, but we donít have decided its price yet"
Old 26th May 2008, 05:26 PM   #8
joemana is offline joemana  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi NewTesla,

After replacing your trafo with smps is there a sound quality difference or none at all?

Joe
Old 26th May 2008, 07:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi:

I did not find any detrimental diff. on the sound quality of the amplifiers but the lack of physical working noise from the old toroidal trafo. The only sound left is the small hiss of the Ucd400.s when idle with no sound on the inputs. The fan included has also very low noise so the only way to know that the power is on is the blue led light inside the supply and the fan blowing.
I do not have the proper equipment to measure the residual noise of the amplifiers after the upgrade but in my listening tests I could not detect it.
Old 27th May 2008, 10:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

That seems like a nice power supply - unregulated quasi resonant half bridge with PFC front end giving regulation.

Seems lightweight for its power too when you compare it to mains frequency transformers...

Hide this!Advertise here!