Best Capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Best ?????

Best capacitor? Best is so very subjective. You, your ears, your system, in your listening environment, in your price range, and your overal likes or dislikes may determine "best" for you.

There is an extensive thread Coupling Caps where capacitors have been subjectively tested. Inbedded in the thread are links to other capacitor testing/rating threads.

Within Cap Shootout there are at least two links to rating/testing threads. Whether or not you find the "best" cap for your application may well be found within these threads.

Hope this gets you on the road to audio nirvana.

EPCOS

I have been remiss in posting a review of caps provided by Sharp31. In messages to him he is prepared to get a lot of the caps from a source in GB. The intent is to make them available to DIYers.

The supply will very limited and the value wil be 7 mfd. It was my intent to set up a WIKI for ordering, but that and the review are still pending. These caps will be available in the USA.

I hope the Aura-T is significantly better than the Russian caps and MKVs, given the price difference... The first website I checked quotes £560 for a 3uF Aura-T!

My MKVs and Russian caps all cost >£10 each. Given the quality of my system, I can't justify spending much more!

My latest ebay bargain...

4.7uF K72 teflon for £6 each. The silver MKV shows how big these babies are!

Attachments

• 100_0325s.jpg
    100_0325s.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,085
Hi all,
Only price here is not the important factor. Since class d is a switching mode amp, similar to the principals of SMPS, capacitors can be called 'good' if they are of low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance). If they are not of low ESR value, then, the high resistance inside them will increase heating inside and the circuit may collapse.
In SMPS, this is one of the main causes of circuit failure, so use capacitors with low ESR value.
Consider capacitors from manufacturers such as EPCOS, PANASONIC, NIPPON CHEMICON. But here only brand name does not ensure that the capacitors will be of low ESR. To be 100% sure, you should check the website and the series name/number.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.