MPS Eval. Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone heard anything about this.... MPS7722...
2 X 20w @4 ohm w/ 9-24v.
http://products.monolithicpower.com/Products/evalLanding.do?evalId=51
Fedex is driving me one across the country, but the Spec. Sheets look promising. If you'd like to see them, you can get them at AllDataSheet by searching EV7722DF-00C......
It's such fun....$4 Eval. Board.... Plus $14 Shipping, Handling & Tax for 7 day delivery.... An Amp6 Basic cost $7 S&H in 4 days from Sweden!

sled108 said:
Has anyone heard anything about this.... MPS7722...
2 X 20w @4 ohm w/ 9-24v.
http://products.monolithicpower.com/Products/evalLanding.do?evalId=51
Fedex is driving me one across the country, but the Spec. Sheets look promising. If you'd like to see them, you can get them at AllDataSheet by searching EV7722DF-00C......
It's such fun....$4 Eval. Board.... Plus $14 Shipping, Handling & Tax for 7 day delivery.... An Amp6 Basic cost $7 S&H in 4 days from Sweden!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure you ordered just the IC.

Did you click the "buy" button on this page for the MP7722?

http://products.monolithicpower.com/Products/ParametricTable.do?categoryId=12

If so, it sends you to AVNET to purchase just the IC for $4.07 each.

:hot: You've got to be kidding me.....There goes my weekend....I must of paid $18 for a $4 Chip!! I'll get a whole lot of listening pleasure out of that. And then, they're Ground Fedexing me a microscopic Bug...
I was directed from Monolithic to Avnet, for the last time.
If it's too good to be true......

Hi,

If you want to buy the MPS eval PCB you must call Avnet since these PCB are not listed on their web site but you can surely buy one from them (about $30). I almost did but instead through their local rep I got a 50W/ch stereo eval PCB.

The one I have plays very well.

Eric

e_fortier said:
The SureElectronics says 8W at 4 or 8 ohm but according to the spec sheet of MP7720 it is more

It looks like just a little over 10w RMS @ 4 ohm; after that THD shoots almost straight up.

For the SureElectronics board it looks like the best way to use it would be with differential inputs (BTL). That way you could remove the output coupling caps and get a clean 20w RMS @ 8 ohms. You would need two boards for stereo, but they are cheap enough.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For the SureElectronics board it looks like the best way to use it would be with differential inputs (BTL). That way you could remove the output coupling caps and get a clean 20w RMS @ 8 ohms.

That sounds very good, overall size for the 2 PCB would be would be 3.5 inches x 4 inches.

The nice thing about the one I have (50W stereo) is that it's dead quiet, I always found that the SureElectronics had some hiss into them.
I have told them about the hiss issue and hopefully they will report back.

Removing the output cap sounds also very good since the one on the PCB are too small.

Way too many amp to play with, I'm going crazy ! I recently salvaged a power transformer from a Crown CE-2000 (+-85Vdc) and I also found 15 pairs of NOS lateral mosfet 2SK134/2SJ49 TO-3 case. These components with a few LME49830 would be nice but not enough time unfortunately but maybe some day...

Regards,
Eric

Hi Sled108,

The eval board you are refering uses the MPS7722 which is identical to MPS7720 except that it is a stereo IC. The mono type (MPS7720) also has slightly less distorsion at 1W.

If you buy the one from Sure-Electronics2 at $7 (+ $5 shipping) it is a stereo PCB using 2 x MPS7720 so basically you will get the same as using 1 x MPS7722.

Building your own will cost you more and we did not talk yet about the PCB layout possible issues. These MPS IC usually runs around 600kHz.

BTW, you can get free sample of output coils at www.coilcraft

These IC do sound very good but I'm not an audiophile ;) how can you go wrong with $12 including shipping versus $30 for the eval PCB from MPS.

My 2 cents.

Eric

I hope these Jpegs will attach

Attachments

• 20 pin adapter.jpg
    20 pin adapter.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 286
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.