PTC instead of Fuse?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone experimented using a PTC instead of a fuse? I was thinking it may be a simple method to protect against short-circuit at the speaker terminal. But I'm wondering about sonic quality? Those things have some finite impedance, and they get worse every time they trip. I don't remember the details, but the resitance will be in tens of milli-ohms, maybe?

regards,

gene

PTC are used often in (expensive) loudspeakers to protect the tweeters from overload conditions. Once in a while you also find simple light buls (i.e. tubular lamps).
Both are effectively when protecting something that can widthstand an overload condition for a few seconds. A moving coil of a loadspeaker for instance wouldn't immediately burn when overloaded. And basically tweeters need a protection only when the input signal (what's coming from the amp) is clipped.

For any protection of electronic circuits this device wouldn't do any good at all. The voltage drop, when not triggered, is often too high, and of course the reaction time for sensitive electronic is absolutely insufficient.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.