trends audio TA 10.1 audiomagus mod or Kingrex T20 Tripath amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2008, 05:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default trends audio TA 10.1 audiomagus mod or Kingrex T20 Tripath amp

I want to buy a small T-amp for computer use. I already have a DAC.

Right now I am thinking about trends audio TA 10.1 audiomagus value mod or Kingrex T20 Tripath amp. They are priced the same, $250. I heard that Kingrex T20 is better than the original trends, but how does it compare to the value mod by audiomagus. Also, do I really need a PSU for Kingrex? That will increase the overall cost. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Old 6th April 2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Reviews

I see you have narrowed your choices some. The TA-10.1 is more moderately powered than the
Kingrex. Take a look at these Tripath Reviews and hopefully, this may help you to narrow your search even more. You may want to communicate with Michael Mardis directly. He is the designer of the Audiomagus TA-10.1 mods. and an overall expert on Tripath based amps.

Mardis Website
Old 17th February 2009, 03:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Well, you can get a stock Trends TA 10.1 and mod it later.

I've had my TA 10.1 for over a year, and I just bypassed the pot (i've got a pass labs b1 buffer in front of it now) and replaced the input caps with auri caps.

You can replace input rca jacks and speaker binding posts, replace the power supply caps, etc...

I think the best results would be running it with a good linear supply or even a 12v battery.
Old 17th February 2009, 05:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help chaps. Perhaps I should have been a bit more concise... When I had the TA10.1 I fitted all of the mods in the audiomagus kit 2, as well as trying a quality SLA. The mods brought about quite a big change, the SLA less so IMO. I was thinking about an amp with a similar character with maybe a little more get up and go if you see what I mean?

I have had a look at Kingrex in the past, not sure that would be a worthwhile change, though obviously I may be mistaken. I will read the mentioned article (thanks) and have a think. Keep the advice coming, it is all much appreciated!

Steve
Old 17th February 2009, 07:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Errr...well sorry chaps, looks like I posted in the wrong thread!!! anyway, my thread was very similar so I have learned form these replies to OP.

Gets coat and prepares to leave.....

Old 17th February 2009, 07:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

There's several other options available like the HLLY amp addressed further down on the first page.

Hide this!Advertise here!