TAS5706 simple full digital stereo amplifier

iampivot said:

Just an optical rotary switch,

... I'm not so interested in?
Current code (only A/D volume voltage, write to register) works enough. and it will not improve sound quality, just a gimmick.

The only problem using carbon cheap volume is, people has "fantasy" that carbon pot volume control spoils signal quality.
Of course TASxxxx is not effected by volume controler. no signal pass through pot. TacT's volume control is marketing issue.

anyway PIC18F1320 has enough available pins, cheap, simple and C programmable. So if you refer my design, you can add Optical rotary volume control.

Attachments

• pic area.png
    pic area.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,283
iampivot said:
What about a a case which can house a PSU as well?

oh, you mean large 19 inch chassi with AC inlet?
I don't feel all DIY amplifier should have huge trans, capacitor inside, especially current class-D. (of course also I was making kind of huge chassi amp several years ago...)

by separating PSU and amplifier,
(a) Like expensive DAC or preamp, power supply noise separation
(b) free selection, from AC adapter, Lab DC, battery, eco solar power, hand cranking generator.
(c) compact and cheap.
(d) easy to build enclosure.
there are many pros.

and for Lab DC supply, they are safe, low-noise, reliable, accurate. I love them, more than my handmade:).

langtuhanoi said:
We can use this chip for Preamp full digital what accept I2S or SPDIF input of CD transport. This Preamp digital have analog ouput (RCA) or analog ouput balanced (XLR) and we can use Power amp class D or anything for one big system

The main idea of this amplifier is that it does D to A conversion directly into a high-power analogue signal that can drive the speakers directly. If you want to extract a low power signal to further amplify in a class D stage or any other amplifier stage which takes an analogue signal, then there are other options that might work just as well.

Current source you can see at my site.
TAS5706 only see written value, don't care where it comes from.
(volume or IR remote or encoder)

• Delay100TCYx(5);
    OpenADC( 0b10100111,0b00000001,0b01111110 );
    Delay100TCYx(5);
    //Read Volume
    ConvertADC();
    while( BusyADC() );
    ADresult = ReadADC();
    CloseADC();

CurrentVol = 0xFF - (ADresult>>2);

if ((PrevVol < (CurrentVol - 0x03)) || (CurrentVol + 0x03 < PrevVol) )
    {
    WriteData = CurrentVol; //set master volume adequate
    I2CWrite(TAS5076_ADDRESS, 0x07, WriteData);
    PrevVol = CurrentVol; //record volume
    }

Listening with Ni-CD battery. (7.2x2=14.4V)
Very nice:spin:
More detailed and little bit powerful.

I recommend RC Ni-CD or Ni-MH ex, (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2147160) for any Audio battery, by their low internal resistance, and high output current.

This small system(Pana CD, TAS5706, QUAD L-ite) sounds {maybe} better than (Pioneer Elite Univ-TacT S2150-QUAD 22L) I had before. I can dive into notation one by one so analytical, base beats my stomach.

Attachments

• p1010316diy.jpg
    p1010316diy.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 892
I knew you'd like battery power even on an amp with reasonably good PSRR - more dynamic and quieter - I found the same on the Panasonic SA-XR57 with TAS5076 & TAS5182 which is non-feedback & zero PSRR!

The great thing about these amps is their efficiency & the ability to use batteries - I have a 12V SLA 7aH battery permananently on, powering the output stage (7 * 100W) for 48 hours & no drop in battery output voltage

Koon.

Are you using the EVM controller board (MC57xx) and the TI control software to control setup and registers of the 5706?

BTW regaring battery discussions: I am running my Tripath 2020 currently with a Northstar NSB90 battery. It comes with 2mR resistance and it is very fast compared to other batteries.
Any smaller size car batteries ( >25mR) gave worse results.

Cheers

Yep. They are expensive. I paid 180€ a piece 2 years back.
I got two of them: One for my DAC and one for my Amp.

1. I don't want to start reloading batteries everytime I heat up
my rig. The voltage stays rocksolid while playing.
2. Reload cycles degrade ( battery gets higher resistance) your battery over time, which means that small batteries will degrade much faster.
3. Absolute NoNo for low quality batteries or old/used batteries.

Have a look a the car audio scene. Perhaps you find similar less expensive types of batteries nowadays.

Cheers

soundcheck said:

Are you using the EVM controller board (MC57xx) and the TI control software to control setup and registers of the 5706?

how did you thought EVM board around amp?
I wrote PIC18F source code by myself.
http://koonlab.com/TAS5706/Main_01.c.txt

NSB90 looks great. huge battery has lower resistance(paralleled internally/chemically).
Maybe some difference between Pb based battery and Ni based battery by chemical reaction speed and energy. Now I can recommend Ni-MH (For Radio Control Toys) by it's peak power.

KOON3876 said:

how did you thought EVM board around amp?
I wrote PIC18F source code by myself.

Koon.

I was just wondering how to get a connection to the chip to set the registers?

My understanding was , to compile your source code on the PC.
Running the programme on the PC would set the registers via -- whatever Interface!?. How does the PC connects to the board?

You need to understand that - I havn't done hardware programming until know.

Cheers