PopPulse T-amp with Remote - modding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wondering if anyone still holding on to this amp after 3(?) yrs.

recently I got my hands on smsl ta2020 (sa-s1). Even with a 12V 2A smps, I was taken aback by the performance of this small little amp. Really amazed at how much details and separation this cheap amp can produce! Wished I had try it 5 yrs ago! Since the casing is o small, I added additional reservoir caps between externally between the SMPS and the ap. Seemed to have improved another notch.

Anyway, it so happened that I saw a Poppulse available after that and so I grabbed it since t's an upsized tripath.

However, I would say that it's a bit disappointing as it seems to be lacking in the level of resolution. I guess it has to do with the elna coupling caps repeated throughout this thread.

Since it's still a new acquisition, I just don't feel like doing too much. So I was wondering if I should just solder a wire to bypass the elna in the front stages but retain those at the input of the TA2022. Perhaps I could also parallel a small PP cap with the TA2022's elna on the underside of the PCB.

BTW, anyone did anything beyond what was mentioned here?

Last edited:
I shorted and bypass the elna into the vol control and the opamp and the amp went into 'protection mode'.

Even when I bypass those for the opamp, it went into 'protection' after a few minutes.

So in the end I just bypass all the elna with 0.1uf I have on hand.

Was happy it's working again....so it'll be a while before I open the box:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.