PopPulse T-amp with Remote - modding - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2012, 01:05 AM   #101
Fossil is offline Fossil  Singapore
diyAudio Member

wondering if anyone still holding on to this amp after 3(?) yrs.

recently I got my hands on smsl ta2020 (sa-s1). Even with a 12V 2A smps, I was taken aback by the performance of this small little amp. Really amazed at how much details and separation this cheap amp can produce! Wished I had try it 5 yrs ago! Since the casing is o small, I added additional reservoir caps between externally between the SMPS and the ap. Seemed to have improved another notch.

Anyway, it so happened that I saw a Poppulse available after that and so I grabbed it since t's an upsized tripath.

However, I would say that it's a bit disappointing as it seems to be lacking in the level of resolution. I guess it has to do with the elna coupling caps repeated throughout this thread.

Since it's still a new acquisition, I just don't feel like doing too much. So I was wondering if I should just solder a wire to bypass the elna in the front stages but retain those at the input of the TA2022. Perhaps I could also parallel a small PP cap with the TA2022's elna on the underside of the PCB.

BTW, anyone did anything beyond what was mentioned here?

Last edited by Fossil; 26th July 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 27th July 2012, 02:20 AM   #102
Fossil is offline Fossil  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I shorted and bypass the elna into the vol control and the opamp and the amp went into 'protection mode'.

Even when I bypass those for the opamp, it went into 'protection' after a few minutes.

So in the end I just bypass all the elna with 0.1uf I have on hand.

Was happy it's working again....so it'll be a while before I open the box

Hide this!Advertise here!