ucd 2kw?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
back said:
my goal is to have 800 watt down to 1 ohm.

I'm just throwing that out there, not sure how practically feasible this is, but couldn't you use a UCD700 and add a transformer to your speaker for impedance matching? That should yield a nice close-to-700W without having to drive an amp into current limiting. If I'm not mistaking, it would also reduce speaker cable loses.

Anyways, 2kW!!!:eek: I assume this is going to be targeted toward PA applications, concert systems and such? Of course, anything a buyer wants to use it for lol. I can see some car audio enthusiasts jumping on that one.

I'm awaiting my UCD400s with great anticipation (postal service is slooooooow).:)

back said:
i hope the 2kw will be the same at sound quality with the other modules and not just for PA.

I wasn't implying that the sound quality would be less. I said PA as in "what else would you need 2kW for?".

2kW of sound in your home is very likely to drive neighbours nuts and make you deaf, lol;)

So what I was trying to say is this will be more useful for people building amplifiers for sound systems intended for large venues, rather than your average home audio DIYer.

I dunno if that made any sense or not.:D

KSTR said:
And well, hoping to see the appropriate SMPS for it soon, also....

Ah yes, definitely would be very nice. A 30+ LBS toroid would be required for a conventional power supply. A monoblock for one of these would probably weight in at 50 LBS once you consider transformer, PS board, chassis, UCD module and heatsinking.

Who knows, maybe Hypex will start manufacturing SMPS?:)

Hi Guys,

answers to all questions;
- 1kVA to 1.5kVA transformer will be enough.
- sound quality of the 2kW will be the same as the other UcD modules. The high power will not have any worse influence on the sonic performance.... ;)
- it's indeed a bridge design. But there is only one modulator, so it's really working as one amplifier and not two bridge amplifiers.
- the 2kW is designed for higher power in lower impedance.
- The UcD700 is having his optimum at around 3.3 ohm.
- with two bridge UcD700 you will also have 1500W @ 8 ohm. Perfect to drive an high power subwoofer.
- two bridge UcD700 will not deliver 2000W because the maximum power is limited by the maximum output current. It will be not more as 800W, don't forget every amps sees only a one ohm load!
- our first SMPS will be a 180W, this is the prelimenary datasheet: http://www.hypex.nl/docs/smps180.pdf . We are running now a pre-production batch. We hope to have something availble in a couple of months.
- later this year we will come with 360W version, and next year we like to introduce our >1kW SMPS at the Frankfurter Prolight & Sound.

Busy times....!

Regards,

Jan-Peter

Jan-Peter said:
Hi Guys,

answers to all questions;
- 1kVA to 1.5kVA transformer will be enough.
- sound quality of the 2kW will be the same as the other UcD modules. The high power will not have any worse influence on the sonic performance.... ;)
- it's indeed a bridge design. But there is only one modulator, so it's really working as one amplifier and not two bridge amplifiers.
- the 2kW is designed for higher power in lower impedance.
- The UcD700 is having his optimum at around 3.3 ohm.
- with two bridge UcD700 you will also have 1500W @ 8 ohm. Perfect to drive an high power subwoofer.
- two bridge UcD700 will not deliver 2000W because the maximum power is limited by the maximum output current. It will be not more as 800W, don't forget every amps sees only a one ohm load!
- our first SMPS will be a 180W, this is the prelimenary datasheet: http://www.hypex.nl/docs/smps180.pdf . We are running now a pre-production batch. We hope to have something availble in a couple of months.
- later this year we will come with 360W version, and next year we like to introduce our >1kW SMPS at the Frankfurter Prolight & Sound.

Busy times....!

Regards,

Jan-Peter

JP, very nice design:D
No input caps.(well..tiny ones) so crestfactor is neglectable, pfc is already done.

Do you need mains earth for this? Is it possible to use it on the Dutch mains, you know the 2 pin wall sockets(without earth)?

Jan-Peter said:
Hi Guys,

[...]

Busy times....!

Regards,

Jan-Peter

Nice to see, but still.... - Darn, I guess.
My understanding of this is that these are made to match the UCD's.
For instance, no variable output voltage.
Which, in turn, implies that any design will have to be monoboxes.
- One SMPS for 2-3 channels doesn't seem likely.

Just my 2 öres.
/Eleson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.