Cheap, high power SMPS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2008, 05:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MotoMan_Yz400
Default Cheap, high power SMPS

I'm building a linear power supply right now rated for 800-1000VA, does anyone know of a good audio grade (not super HiFi) SMPS that could do 60-0-60VDC? I've seen some single output SMPS, but they run nearly $400-$600 a peice ! I know ColdAmp has a good unit, a little under powered and they are expensive. I'm looking around $200-$300 for the supply. Anyone know of anything?

*EDIT - this will need 120VAC in. I'm using this for a home audio project.
Old 17th March 2008, 10:06 PM   #2
fumac is offline fumac  China
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to fumac
a good smps for audio is expensive,
dont use a low quality SMPS for audio project,
Old 18th March 2008, 12:22 AM   #3
TheMG is offline TheMG  Canada
diyAudio Member

$400 for a supply like this is actually a very good deal. It's not uncommon for SMPSes at those power levels to go for $800 and up new.

If you want cheap and powerful, you could go with a standard transformer supply, at the expense of increased weight and size.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:53 AM   #4
iand is offline iand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Cheap, high power SMPS

Quote:
Originally posted by MotoMan_Yz400
I'm building a linear power supply right now rated for 800-1000VA, does anyone know of a good audio grade (not super HiFi) SMPS that could do 60-0-60VDC? I've seen some single output SMPS, but they run nearly $400-$600 a peice ! I know ColdAmp has a good unit, a little under powered and they are expensive. I'm looking around $200-$300 for the supply. Anyone know of anything?

*EDIT - this will need 120VAC in. I'm using this for a home audio project.
Coldamp CPS80 (800W cont, 1200W max) is 198 euros + VAT.

CAD Audio in Denmark have several modules, but some people have reported bad experiences with dealing with the company.

http://www.cadaudio.dk/pwmaudio_en.htm

CAD SW1000 (1000W cont? 2000Wmax?) is 153 euros + VAT
(same design as in their 2000W/4ohm module)

CAD SW1500 (PFC, 1500W cont, 3000W max) is 240 euros + VAT

Cheers

Ian
Old 3rd April 2008, 03:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was looking at CAD audio, what are these problems you mention? I want to build an amp for stage use and reliability is obviously crucial; any issues here?

thanks!
Old 3rd April 2008, 04:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bremen nacht
I was looking at CAD audio, what are these problems you mention? I want to build an amp for stage use and reliability is obviously crucial; any issues here?

thanks!
I don't think the mods will like it very much if this turns into a discussion about how CAD Audio runs their business. There is some info about your question here though.....

Digiamps.com
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:34 PM   #7
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hypex is preparing an SMPS lineup for summer '08, starting with a 180W supply, later going up to 400W and 800W (accompanying their Class-D module range).

You would just be required to wait a couple of months, just like I do.

Cheers.
Old 4th April 2008, 05:33 AM   #8
TheMG is offline TheMG  Canada
diyAudio Member

And after the 800W... the 2000W!!!

Ok, this is only speculation, but as they are releasing a 2000W module, I would only assume they are going to eventually release a matching SMPS, who wants to use a 30lbs transformer?
Old 4th April 2008, 12:34 PM   #9
iand is offline iand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bremen nacht

thanks!
I guess your application is similar to mine, which is why I was also looking hard at CAD audio -- basically, nobody else makes/sells (or claims to :-) SMPS at these power levels to the non-OEM market (Powersoft have the Digimod 3000PFC but have said it's only available in volume to OEM customers).

I've been in contact with them several times over the last couple of years about various modules (amp and PSU) and have found it *very* difficult to get technical information out of them, or even any replies to emails in some cases.

It seems strange to me that a company which claims to offer a large range of attractive class-D amp and SMPS modules doesn't really seem to want to either sell them or support them afterwards...

It's possible that their main business is big OEM customers and they can't really be bothered to support the DIY market -- in which case they should say so! -- but even this doesn't justify/explain the multiple posts in this forum about support/repair/refund problems with modules and/or ready-built amplifiers.

But given the lack of alternatives I'm still tempted to give them a try, maybe just a single CAD2000ASW to start with -- though this still means risking about 350 euros, and I don't like gambling...

Ian

P.S. Does anyone have any *good* comments about CAD audio (or digiamps.com) like "I got these modules from them and they work fine" ?
Old 4th April 2008, 12:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MotoMan_Yz400
well I'd almost be willing to build my own if someone had their hands on a good working high power SMPS they would be willing to post. I have software here that will able me in building a PCB board, and get components is easy.

I dont know enough on the in/outs of it all to build my own, how-ever if i had a schematic, with a parts list I dont see why I couldnt get one made.

Hide this!Advertise here!