Complete noob needs help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for the basic question, but I own three T-Amps (Sonic impact), two originals and one V2. I just bought the V2 and already, in 3 days, broke one of the speaker clips. I just touched it, and the spring flew out. I was trying to insert some Anticable speaker wire into it, and boom!

Anyway, I figured I might use the opportunity to try my first DIY project, basically taking the T-Amp out of its cheap housing and into a more robust container, adding real speaker connections, a better volume control (pot, right?). You can see, I am a real beginner.

Can I do this? Is there anywhere on diyAudio with this already outlined?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And this one:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50870

There are several threads on this forum, about different versions of the T-Amp. They're pretty easy to pick out of a list of the Class-D topics here. Also check the FAQ, as there's some good background and links there.

Enjoy yourself. These little amps are a lot of fun and a great way to get your feet wet in DIY audio--and amaze and astound your friends. Don't be afraid to tackle the parts modifications, especially the capacitor upgrades, which are detailed in these threads and on Michael Mardis' site.

--Buckapound

If you decide to mod one yourself, make sure you have a fine tip soldering iron with temperature control. You don't want to burn the surface mount pads. Do everything in your control to only use short bursts of heat on the board. I had the mishap of burning a through hole pad and had to reroute wires to another area of the board.

Hi tstarn06,
If you are worried about messing up your board and would be happier just re-casing, then I have attached the diagram for that.......
You could leave the original speaker leads and power leads attached to the board to keep things simple.
You can always do the other mods later when you feel more confident.
PS, the boards are a lot smaller in the flesh than they look on the PC..Good Luck..

Attachments

• sonic t amp basic mod.jpg
    sonic t amp basic mod.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 102
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.