Bruno Putzeys in IEEE Spectrum - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2008, 08:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bruno Putzeys in IEEE Spectrum

http://spectrum.ieee.org/feb08/5924

/Martin
Old 22nd February 2008, 06:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A M A Z I N G !!!
Old 22nd February 2008, 06:55 AM   #3
kstrain is offline kstrain  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default What jumped out at me ...

was that both designers (BP, JP) could tell it was a good sounding design before listening to it.

Discuss ....

Ken
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't think they meant that (BP,JP ) could tell it sounded good before listening to it. I think they meant that the output signal looked clean unlike other 'digital' amp designs they had seen before and so the design finally had real potential to turn out to be good and the end result is for all to see.

What's 'amazing' ( in CAPS !) about this article ? It's mostly about conviction , hard work and determination ! If it turned out that Bruno is just visiting us from Mars , THAT would be AMAZING !

Old 22nd February 2008, 01:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok
What's 'amazing' ( in CAPS !) about this article ? It's mostly about conviction , hard work and determination ! If it turned out that Bruno is just visiting us from Mars , THAT would be AMAZING !

I said amazing in sense of a compliment, due to the disciplined approach followed by Bruno, is this hurting you in someway or other.??
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

From the article:

Quote:
Stereo replay never actually reproduces a musical event,” he says. “The only thing you can hope for is a credible illusion. But it can be a very nice illusion.”
Refreshing to hear this versus the current market trend of over-hyping a product (taken from B&O's site):
Quote:
We want you to believe that you are somewhere else. Right on the stage with Brünnhilde and Siegfried; in the recording studio during the Birth of the Cool; tumbling around the U-96 as the depth charges detonate. You are no longer in your living room.
Old 22nd February 2008, 05:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok
I don't think they meant that (BP,JP ) could tell it sounded good before listening to it. I think they meant that the output signal looked clean unlike other 'digital' amp designs they had seen before and so the design finally had real potential to turn out to be good and the end result is for all to see.
[snip]
No, that's not what it says.
I it reads to me that they made decisions about how it would sound by looking at the scope. After all, JP said he wanted to buy a license after checking the scope.

Is that something you find hard to accept?

Jan Didden
Old 22nd February 2008, 06:31 PM   #8
TheMG is offline TheMG  Canada
diyAudio Member

It makes perfect sense though. On a scope you can see things that the ear may not even be able to discern.

It's like setting very high standards in a way.
Old 25th February 2008, 06:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Bruno

A modest man living within modest means living his dream, we should all be so fortunate and so wise as to realize what is important in life. A great role model for all young would be engineers!
I consider Bruno to be the world’s foremost designer of switching amplifiers. No one else can see as clearly the implications of differing topologies.
Roger
Old 25th February 2008, 07:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'd read it like...

Once upon a time
http://spectrum.ieee.org/feb08/5924
and he lived happily ever after.

Beautiful story.

Hide this!Advertise here!