are there any prebuilt 30w-50w modules to be found? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2008, 08:32 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ArjenShenzhen
Default Party Bike

posted it at the wrong spot!

Haha, never have i seen so much Madness!

For the amplifier part of it, Class Dlooks like the way to go, anything else will empty your battery in no time.
There are a few possebilities when it comes to this, getting one amplifier with massive power requires high voltage and usually 2 rails. this is difficult to achieve, you'll need a DC DC converter to get it done off of a normal battery.

Using normal AA batteries is really a bad idea, it is simply not enough power. if you want it Cheap use lead acid cells, if you have some more to spend, i can get here Lithium polimer cells up to 12 A @ 3.7 volt. ( not sure if im allouwed to ship those! )

I suggest the following, i can get here Cheaply some sweet sounding 4" full range speakers, and i suggest despite your dislike for Transmission lines, Euh, Transmission lines!!
you can use PVC tubes, and i think if you put 5 speakers per side, all using there own tube well adjusted ( i have AJhorn, ill help you calculate the length )
you can use theTA2024 PCB for amplification.
This has as disadvantage that you need 5 amps, but that will put you back just 25 Euro!
Efficinecy is around 88%, Idle current is 60mA per PCB so 300mA
Using a 10A lead acid that should be able to run for a bit!

The 4" speakers i can get are 88 DB not bad for a 4" er and full range!

i think also you should make a lowrider bike, like a chopper model that would look sweet!

If you wanna go Green all the way, i can also get 18 Volts 5 Watt solar panels.... if you make a lowrider, you can add a solar roof... that would be Wild!

Old 30th August 2008, 10:53 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

i have no plans on using these modules. i've already bought a pair of power acoustik 140wpc class A/B amps because of their cool plasmaspere (blue "borg lights") and an 800/630 amp 12v battery for a trailer system but for anyone searching for a small but powerful amp for an on-bike system, those modules will surely put out more power when bridged than a 10wpc sonic impact unit.

i could get 4 hours of full volume easily with mine and decent SPL , even with 86dB efficient mission M71s, (as long as i'm not riding in front of a night club) running on just 8 AA batteries.

it wouldn't be hard to find space for a dozen D cells on a bike if one chose to use these modules. a pair in parallel could even run off the same power supply could they not?

i guarantee that you'd have to get a longer run time with a pair of those ramseys than you would, say, the infamous 50wpc class A/B JVC "kaboom box"

if anyone's interested in the rig i'm building now, check out my street party bike page at
http://takatomon2000.googlepages.com...eet_party_bike

lowriders, in particular, are hard to hook up with sound unless you're ready to either build or buy $$$ fiberglass because the sissy bars eat up the valuable real estate over the rear wheel.

not only that, but "real" lowriders are just 20" stingrays with the seat lowered all the way. mine is a 24" stretch but is still too small for my tastes. that, and the banana seat puts my "fun zone" to sleep in just 20 minutes of riding! LOL
Old 1st September 2008, 10:34 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I second the recommendation for a 41Hz amp. The Amp11 should be workable if you add a voltage converter.

There have been some nice people assembling 41Hz kits for not much money. Check the forums there: http://41hz.com/Forums
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:00 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

um, 41kHZ's 25wpc amps don't offer enough of a power increase over a sonic impact which gets by just fine with 8 lightweight AAA batteries and they only have ONE amp close to 50wpc, the amp 4 at 40wpc with a greedy 20-32v requirement. that's too much for a bike system. 15v is bad enough (10 D cells) but 14 D cells is out of the question. that's alot of added size, weight and expense.

it may be doable, but it's impractical.
Old 3rd October 2008, 02:36 AM   #25
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

There once was some 4 channel versions of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-15-watt-4ohm-T...d=p3286.c0.m14

2 for highs, 2 paralleled on the LAT-250 you mentioned.

In case the link doesn't work....

Item number: 350102891350

And yes it IS the same chip as the Sonic Impact, but "more" of them.. Still 12 volts..
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:15 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by budget minded
um, 41kHZ's 25wpc amps don't offer enough of a power increase over a sonic impact which gets by just fine with 8 lightweight AAA batteries and they only have ONE amp close to 50wpc, the amp 4 at 40wpc with a greedy 20-32v requirement. that's too much for a bike system. 15v is bad enough (10 D cells) but 14 D cells is out of the question. that's alot of added size, weight and expense.

it may be doable, but it's impractical.
The 41Hz Amp11 is also 50-100 W per channel. You can use a boost converter. Also, these amps are so efficient that you don't need D cells - you can use AAA just as well as the T-Amp. Just more of them. 6 9V batteries, a parallel pair of 3 serial batteries, should be something interesting with the Amp11.

At the same voltage but for more power, you'll of course need lower impedance speakers and an amp capable of driving them. Check out the 4-channel 41Hz Amp9 - it can be bridged and paralleled and pull stunts into 1 or 2 Ohms at 12-27V.
Old 8th October 2008, 12:33 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

for me, the point is moot because i'll have a 12v X 450w watt trailer system next summer. i could finish building it right now, but i'm still waiting on some lighting effects i wanted to include and it's the beginning of the rainy season here in oregon.

back to class D, if i were to build a compact "on bike" system, i would go with D cells for longer runs. AAA cells are fine for a sonic impact unit, but if one were to go for 50w+ then the run time would have to be seriously reduced. nothing sucks more than to ride to your cruising spot only to have your batteries die out.

BTW, does anyone know how to hack an original sonic impact case open without resorting to a hammer? i can't get mine open when i remove every screw i can find. my guess is that the screws i'm looking for are hidden onder the rubber feet or there's some "trick" way to pry it open. i've tried sliding the base every which way to no avail. i can't use mine anymore because one of the spring terminals blew out. i'm not a big fan of it's battery holders either. you have to bend the springs on the top row to cram the bottom batteries in because the holders aren't staggered like they should be.

it's possible down the road i might build another bike system, but my trailer system will be better in every way.
Old 8th October 2008, 07:34 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by budget minded

BTW, does anyone know how to hack an original sonic impact case open without resorting to a hammer? i can't get mine open when i remove every screw i can find. my guess is that the screws i'm looking for are hidden onder the rubber feet or there's some "trick" way to pry it open. i've tried sliding the base every which way to no avail.
Hi,

You'll find a pictoral 'take apart ' guide at the following link (no hammer necessary!):

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/t-amp_tweaks_e.html

Robert_S
Old 10th October 2008, 11:35 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

great! thanx a bunch for that. now i just need to find a good case to put it in, but eventually i might use it as the tweeter amp in a bi-amped "on bike" system for when i just want to pleasure ride. i might get a beach cruiser just for that some day. my MTB is 20 years old and shows it and my lowrider is a crotch number of the highest order. LOL

i'm not looking forward to lugging 100+ pounds with a too high geared lowrider. i plan on lowering the gear a bit by switching from 42t to a 36t chainring next year though.

i'd like it even better if i could find an original sun EZ rider recumbent thought. it's too bad they switched the new models to a fugly design while the original looked like a sports car.

yep... just what i thought... the screws needed to open the case are hidden under the feet. looks like i'll need to find my old x-acto knife now.

i thought that maybe the case used some sort of funky hinge or slider design like those on annoying computer cases.

man, does T-N-T love class D kits and hacks or what? i'm pretty sure they're the ones who 1st reviewed sonic impact and who also did the 4 amp shootout that included a 41kHZ 15 watter too.

now if they'd just review a panasonic class D reciever, i'd be happy. it's like the whole industry is conspiring to keep panny's huge bang for the buck recievers a secret. i love mine WAAAAAAAAY more than that wet blanket NAD i owned.
Old 16th October 2008, 09:10 AM   #30
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

The Ramsey kit is no more power than the Tripath when both are run on a 12V battery.

Both are already bridge amps, and cannot be further bridged.

The 40W is 14Wx2 on 12V at 4R with 10% THD, and looks like it may use the TPA3100D2 chip.

Hide this!Advertise here!