are there any prebuilt 30w-50w modules to be found?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Party Bike

posted it at the wrong spot!

Haha, never have i seen so much Madness!

For the amplifier part of it, Class Dlooks like the way to go, anything else will empty your battery in no time.
There are a few possebilities when it comes to this, getting one amplifier with massive power requires high voltage and usually 2 rails. this is difficult to achieve, you'll need a DC DC converter to get it done off of a normal battery.

Using normal AA batteries is really a bad idea, it is simply not enough power. if you want it Cheap use lead acid cells, if you have some more to spend, i can get here Lithium polimer cells up to 12 A @ 3.7 volt. ( not sure if im allouwed to ship those! )

I suggest the following, i can get here Cheaply some sweet sounding 4" full range speakers, and i suggest despite your dislike for Transmission lines, Euh, Transmission lines!!
you can use PVC tubes, and i think if you put 5 speakers per side, all using there own tube well adjusted ( i have AJhorn, ill help you calculate the length )
you can use theTA2024 PCB for amplification.
This has as disadvantage that you need 5 amps, but that will put you back just 25 Euro!
Efficinecy is around 88%, Idle current is 60mA per PCB so 300mA
Using a 10A lead acid that should be able to run for a bit!

The 4" speakers i can get are 88 DB not bad for a 4" er and full range!

i think also you should make a lowrider bike, like a chopper model that would look sweet!

If you wanna go Green all the way, i can also get 18 Volts 5 Watt solar panels.... if you make a lowrider, you can add a solar roof... that would be Wild!

i have no plans on using these modules. i've already bought a pair of power acoustik 140wpc class A/B amps because of their cool plasmaspere (blue "borg lights") and an 800/630 amp 12v battery for a trailer system but for anyone searching for a small but powerful amp for an on-bike system, those modules will surely put out more power when bridged than a 10wpc sonic impact unit.

i could get 4 hours of full volume easily with mine and decent SPL , even with 86dB efficient mission M71s, (as long as i'm not riding in front of a night club) running on just 8 AA batteries.

it wouldn't be hard to find space for a dozen D cells on a bike if one chose to use these modules. a pair in parallel could even run off the same power supply could they not?

i guarantee that you'd have to get a longer run time with a pair of those ramseys than you would, say, the infamous 50wpc class A/B JVC "kaboom box"

if anyone's interested in the rig i'm building now, check out my street party bike page at
http://takatomon2000.googlepages.com/my_street_party_bike

lowriders, in particular, are hard to hook up with sound unless you're ready to either build or buy $$$ fiberglass because the sissy bars eat up the valuable real estate over the rear wheel.

not only that, but "real" lowriders are just 20" stingrays with the seat lowered all the way. mine is a 24" stretch but is still too small for my tastes. that, and the banana seat puts my "fun zone" to sleep in just 20 minutes of riding! LOL

um, 41kHZ's 25wpc amps don't offer enough of a power increase over a sonic impact which gets by just fine with 8 lightweight AAA batteries and they only have ONE amp close to 50wpc, the amp 4 at 40wpc with a greedy 20-32v requirement. that's too much for a bike system. 15v is bad enough (10 D cells) but 14 D cells is out of the question. that's alot of added size, weight and expense.

it may be doable, but it's impractical.

budget minded said:
um, 41kHZ's 25wpc amps don't offer enough of a power increase over a sonic impact which gets by just fine with 8 lightweight AAA batteries and they only have ONE amp close to 50wpc, the amp 4 at 40wpc with a greedy 20-32v requirement. that's too much for a bike system. 15v is bad enough (10 D cells) but 14 D cells is out of the question. that's alot of added size, weight and expense.

it may be doable, but it's impractical.

The 41Hz Amp11 is also 50-100 W per channel. You can use a boost converter. Also, these amps are so efficient that you don't need D cells - you can use AAA just as well as the T-Amp. Just more of them. 6 9V batteries, a parallel pair of 3 serial batteries, should be something interesting with the Amp11.

At the same voltage but for more power, you'll of course need lower impedance speakers and an amp capable of driving them. Check out the 4-channel 41Hz Amp9 - it can be bridged and paralleled and pull stunts into 1 or 2 Ohms at 12-27V.

for me, the point is moot because i'll have a 12v X 450w watt trailer system next summer. i could finish building it right now, but i'm still waiting on some lighting effects i wanted to include and it's the beginning of the rainy season here in oregon.

back to class D, if i were to build a compact "on bike" system, i would go with D cells for longer runs. AAA cells are fine for a sonic impact unit, but if one were to go for 50w+ then the run time would have to be seriously reduced. nothing sucks more than to ride to your cruising spot only to have your batteries die out.

BTW, does anyone know how to hack an original sonic impact case open without resorting to a hammer? i can't get mine open when i remove every screw i can find. my guess is that the screws i'm looking for are hidden onder the rubber feet or there's some "trick" way to pry it open. i've tried sliding the base every which way to no avail. i can't use mine anymore because one of the spring terminals blew out. i'm not a big fan of it's battery holders either. you have to bend the springs on the top row to cram the bottom batteries in because the holders aren't staggered like they should be.

it's possible down the road i might build another bike system, but my trailer system will be better in every way.

budget minded said:

BTW, does anyone know how to hack an original sonic impact case open without resorting to a hammer? i can't get mine open when i remove every screw i can find. my guess is that the screws i'm looking for are hidden onder the rubber feet or there's some "trick" way to pry it open. i've tried sliding the base every which way to no avail.

Hi,

You'll find a pictoral 'take apart ' guide at the following link (no hammer necessary!):

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/t-amp_tweaks_e.html

Robert_S

great! thanx a bunch for that. now i just need to find a good case to put it in, but eventually i might use it as the tweeter amp in a bi-amped "on bike" system for when i just want to pleasure ride. i might get a beach cruiser just for that some day. my MTB is 20 years old and shows it and my lowrider is a crotch number of the highest order. LOL

i'm not looking forward to lugging 100+ pounds with a too high geared lowrider. i plan on lowering the gear a bit by switching from 42t to a 36t chainring next year though.

i'd like it even better if i could find an original sun EZ rider recumbent thought. it's too bad they switched the new models to a fugly design while the original looked like a sports car.

yep... just what i thought... the screws needed to open the case are hidden under the feet. looks like i'll need to find my old x-acto knife now.

i thought that maybe the case used some sort of funky hinge or slider design like those on annoying computer cases.

man, does T-N-T love class D kits and hacks or what? i'm pretty sure they're the ones who 1st reviewed sonic impact and who also did the 4 amp shootout that included a 41kHZ 15 watter too.

now if they'd just review a panasonic class D reciever, i'd be happy. it's like the whole industry is conspiring to keep panny's huge bang for the buck recievers a secret. i love mine WAAAAAAAAY more than that wet blanket NAD i owned.

hmm... well it wouldn't be the FIRST time a manufacturer has exaggerated it's power ratings would it? thanks for the heads up on that.

when i update "my street party bike" website eventually, i planned on recommending gear to look out for. i guess i'll drop the ramsey kit too just like another $150+ module elsewhere that someone informed me has terrible specs and just stick with 41kHZ's stuff for DIYing and blaupunkt and alpine class D stereo for 12v systems but i still like my class A/B power acoustic amps because of their "ooh shiny objects... me like shiny objects" plasmaspheres. i can't recommend those though because they're out of production.

drunk chicks really dig that stuff! LOL

well, summer is almost over and i can't ride with the trailer system because there's a new railing system outside my door that won't let me get the trailer out and i can't find any storage units near downtown and the closest ones all close before 9pm!

now i want to go back to an "on bike system" until i figure out where i can store the trailer, but am at a catch 22 there too. i'm not going to buy another sonic impact because they're flimsy and break easy. both the binding posts on mine fell apart AND the amp fried so that it would shut off after 5 minutes of use.

i can't do 41hz either because they don't offer prebuilts and i'm NOT paying anyone $100 or more to build one for me, so i'm back here where i started looking for a heads up on a minimal 50 watts per channel amp that can be run on batteries. now that i'm familiar with lithium ion, that would be the tech i'd go with, but i still need a prebuilt module.

has anyone finally made one since i first asked?

budget minded said:
i can't do 41hz either because they don't offer prebuilts and i'm NOT paying anyone $100 or more to build one for me, so i'm back here where i started looking for a heads up on a minimal 50 watts per channel amp that can be run on batteries. now that i'm familiar with lithium ion, that would be the tech i'd go with, but i still need a prebuilt module.

has anyone finally made one since i first asked?

1) 41Hz have actually started selling prebuilt Amp6-BASIC's ... though they're not 50W :(

2) I think it costs less than $100 to have V-Bro build you a 41Hz amp

3) There were some prebuilt boards (from China) being discussed here, I can't find the threads right now but they got reasonably good marks IIRC.

4) Shure (or Sure) electronics are selling boards w/ the TK2050 chipset (same as Amp4 / Amp11), but peoplehere were a bit suspicious of the components - I haven't listened to these amps but I've tended to agree w. amp reviews / opinions by the same people. They certainly work, but if you want a nice amp, it seems cheaper to have a 41Hz board built or get one of the "China amps" instead of upgrading a Sure.

cool! i'll have to look into ordering one of those. i HOPE they have at least DECENT sound. my panasonic receiver & sonic impact portable both sound(ed) great, but the sonic impact was a bit underpowered for my needs.

not that it's particularly relevant, i like the symmetrical look of the 100w watt unit. i intended to mount the amp under a plexiglass window on the new build and i like the look of that unit.

does anyone have any opinion about using the "100w" unit with li-on batteries for more headroom? my guess would be that with 90% efficient amps, you aren't going to drain your batteries much for a given output if you're not using full power and 50 watts on a 100wpc amp would mean lower THD.

the price looks nice too as i see 41Hz amps are now selling for 55 pounds which should be over $100 us. wow! talk about inflation!

thanks a bunch for the heads up on those shure units. it's so hard to find anything with search engines these days.

budget minded said:
cool! i'll have to look into ordering one of those. i HOPE they have at least DECENT sound. my panasonic receiver & sonic impact portable both sound(ed) great, but the sonic impact was a bit underpowered for my needs.

not that it's particularly relevant, i like the symmetrical look of the 100w watt unit. i intended to mount the amp under a plexiglass window on the new build and i like the look of that unit.

does anyone have any opinion about using the "100w" unit with li-on batteries for more headroom? my guess would be that with 90% efficient amps, you aren't going to drain your batteries much for a given output if you're not using full power and 50 watts on a 100wpc amp would mean lower THD.

the price looks nice too as i see 41Hz amps are now selling for 55 pounds which should be over $100 us. wow! talk about inflation!

thanks a bunch for the heads up on those shure units. it's so hard to find anything with search engines these days.

Please take the Connxelectronic kits rather than the Sure, they're much better made it seems to me. The Sure amp is under-kitted, I promise.

Which 41Hz amp is 55 pounds / $100? Amp4 is $70, Amp11 is $50.

Re. battery: Go for LiFePO4 batteries. Also known as LFP / A123 / DeWalt batteries. I built a 12.8V 2.6Ah pack for $35. It's light, goes forever, won't blow up and can take 2000 charge cycles. Here's more info: http://www.41hz.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2740

as to the 41Hz, either they changed their prices or i was reading 3 as a 5. the amps used to be $40ish before anyways.

that lifepo battery is HUGE! it won't do for my bike system. i'm not going to put a giant battery in my bike frame & make it look fugly or top mount it and make the bike want to tip over. that's why i want to go with li-ons. i can mount them low on each side under the speakers for a low center of gravity. i've already had to contend with my mission bookshelfs making my bike want to tip over getting on or off.

as to being underpowered... that's fine. i just want an amp that has honestly double the power of a sonic impact.

as to kits... i don't want a kit. that's why i'm considering the sure units. it looks like they're prebuilt which is exactly what i want.

i also like the look of the sure... symetrical with a cool looking black motherboard with blue components. it would look cool under blue LEDs.

i'll take a look at the company you suggest, but the last thing in the world i want is a kit even if it has better specs. just 30w with honest bass would suffice for me. in reading up on new amps in the sure thread, i read a review that stated the sonics are bass shy which is not what you want running smaller speakers.

thanks for your reply, but looks (and a low center of gravity) are VERY IMPORTANT to me for the next system, not just functionality.

those higher power connex modules look very interesting for upgrades to my DJ rig if i ever get some business though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.