DC on output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2008, 09:19 PM   #1
G4ME is offline G4ME  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to G4ME
Default DC on output

Okay so i have a working standard triangle wave/comparator amp with an IR2010, and some IRF540's.

The only problem is I notice DC on my output. I have looked at my output of the comparator with no input signal, and my understanding is the duty cycle should be 50%. Right now mine is 45% and does not change much more then the Oscop can measure. Thinking this through it must mean my triangle wave is not perfectly balanced and has a DC offset on it as well and i measure +6.875V to -5.813V. I am using Exars XR-2209 VCO. My voltage rails are not balanced as i am using LM7812 and LM7912 rectifiers, they are 12.31V and -11.60V.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/data...2/XR2209.shtml
link to the VCO

Is there anything I can do to remove that dc on the triangle wave and thus remove my output DC, as i kinda don't want to fry my voice coils.

Am I screwed till i get better rails?

Thanks
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out.
Old 6th February 2008, 09:38 PM   #2
mag is offline mag  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Looking at simplified schematics on the XR2209 datasheet seems that pin 5 (bias) sets the offset of the output op-amp for the triangle wave output. The offset on your triangle wave
How did you connect pin 5 on your design?. The power supply imbalance should not affect the triangle wave offset.

Try to change the voltage on pin 5 trough a resistive divider (or a trimmer) and see if the offset on the triangle disappears.

I have never used that chip so I cannot tell you if it works...
Old 6th February 2008, 10:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

as of right now I have it tied to ground, i will see if i can get a pot in there to see if it changes anything.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out.
Old 10th February 2008, 01:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

well i got some 10K multi turn pots and using a unity gain inverting op amp with the pot rigged up as a voltage divider with the rail i am able to take that dc offset to pretty much nothing, and the resulting PWM out of the comparator with no input is 50%
Old 10th February 2008, 11:01 AM   #5
mag is offline mag  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

good,
I don't think you need an op-amp after the pot.
Try to connect the pot direcly to pin 5. Connect also a 100nF capacitor between pin 5 and GND as a decoupling.

BTW which voltage have you forced on that pin to reach 0VDC offset? Is that something around 0.6-0.7V??
Old 10th February 2008, 11:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I initially tried to connect the pot to pin 5, but seeing I needed to add a negative DC offset, somehow when pin 5 became negative it forced the output to get all funky and messed up. I think pin 5 is really only there to add DC bias not subtract it.

So I had to sit and stew about it for a little while and then came up with the op amp and pot configuration. Yeah its one more thing in the signal but I am using a OPA4227 for the input buffer and it had three free op amps left.

Hide this!Advertise here!