combining class A and class D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Would the inverted JFET Circlophone be related to this type of topology? It's not class D but does have a sliding bias to always keep outputs switched on for class A operation without a a lot of wasted heat.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/189599-my-little-cheap-circlophone-34.html

251373d1322267079-my-little-cheap-circlophone-compl.-circlophone.png

What the OP is talking of is a series topology.
The Vanderkooy example and Devialet are both parallel topologies but differing otherwise.
Devialet is not using feedforward error correction but a linear amp that is supported by a class D current source. One can find a lot of information on amps like that on the web when searching for Switch Mode Assisted Linear Amplifier (SMALA).

15 years ago I did lots of simulations with a topology that had some similarities. The current source was a delta sigma topology of low order. In the case of a first order loop the integrator simply consisted of the inductor alone. The simulation results were very good. It would have allowed good efficiency, high slew rates and low THD - in theory. But that doesn't say anything about how well it would work in practice.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.