400HG LED out... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2008, 11:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 400HG LED out...

Happy new year all,

One of my new 400HG's LED doesn't light up. The amp seems to work fine. Should I worry about this, or, if not, what might be wrong?

I'm powering them with a Coldamp SMPS.

Regards,
Tom
Old 18th January 2008, 11:41 PM   #2
Javin5 is offline Javin5  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I've had the same with the blue LED in the UcD180AD; it did not affect the sound in any way. I replaced the LED, which died again after about two weeks of operation. Again, the operation was not affected. Probably something wrong in the circuit which drives that LED, but unrelated to the performance of the amp itself. I stopped worrying about it.

Kurt
Old 20th January 2008, 03:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks, I saw the prior 180 post...

Thanks for your reply but this is engineering - there has to be a reason that this has happened. LEDs have a life of, like, ten million years, so I have doubts that it has failed. Something else is wrong with the UCD 400HG and I do not know what.

This upsets me.

I suppose that because I am a scientific kind of bloke I have trouble dealing with a failure that is both unexpained and seemingly without consequence. It upsets my delicate sense of order, the part wouldn't be there with out a purpose, and it has failed. Therefore, something is wrong.

What I want to know, despite the seemingly inconsequential consequence of the failed nice blue LED I would like to be able to pin-point what has happened to account for the failure of this component. Write it off to pure OCD.

If anyone has any idea what is going on, however irrelevent it may seem, I'd be obliged if anyone could shed some light on this issue...

Regards,
Tom
Old 20th January 2008, 08:30 AM   #4
TheMG is offline TheMG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Could just be defective LEDs (it does happen) or too much current is being given to the LED (current limiting resistor too small value).
Old 20th January 2008, 09:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Thanks, I saw the prior 180 post...

Quote:
Originally posted by ptwining
If anyone has any idea what is going on, however irrelevent it may seem, I'd be obliged if anyone could shed some light on this issue...
Sorry, but best way is to contact producer (hypex.nl).
See logical, might be interested on solving your problem too...
Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!