Hybrid Hypex UCD - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2009, 07:18 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi Koifarm,

Had to go through the Hypex papers to check what is was all about. First of all if you go single ended into the + input Zin will NOT be 1,8k, it will be in the ballpark of 10k. This is great as 1,8k is not easy to deal with. To build a better tube interface you should go differential and use a transformer but that add costs.

Anyway, 10k makes things a little easier for the SRPP. Still with 60V i guess you donīt have more than in the ballpark of 0,4V on the lower cathode. If you also bother to check the link I sent you, it might be even worse....

When you go 120V, the SRPP will be able to take the needed input voltage for full output. Below is a simmed example that explains it all. You will get a nice wooly(compressed) THD(mainly secondorder) of over 5% at full output at 60V B+ but with 120V it will be well below 1%.

At 60V you will get in the ballpark of 2,5V rms below 1%.
Probably this is acceptable as the compression with higher input is what you need not to blow your speakers. And at usual listening levels you might be right about the 0,5% you spoke of .

To get the best performance out of 6N6P or 6N30 they need over 100V over each triode and 20mA.

Glad you pointed out the input OP removal as this made me interested in the Hypex. I had before checked the Tripaths but there you are stuck with the internal input OP. But I will probably go for differential with good Lundahl transformers.
Attached Images
File Type: png srpp.png (67.6 KB, 1426 views)
Old 23rd February 2009, 04:09 PM   #22
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sek
Hi Koifarm,

just a quick side question: Where did you get those OEM modules from?

Cheers,
Sebastian.
You can get the Oem modules at Hypex but only if you are a developer or manifactory. This modules are not for reselling but only for selling in compleet amplifiers. The normal UCD400st or hg have the same possibillities just another layout. If you do not use the inputbuffer like i do just buy the ST version.

Lars , thanks for you explaination. I treid 120V ( +60V, -60V with floating ground) but there was no difference in sound.

Ceibal, sorry no pictures.
Old 23rd February 2009, 07:21 PM   #23
rtd is offline rtd  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Koifarm,

As you are probably the only one who tests openly a non commercial stage, may be you could advise...

I tried simple buffer just to see what result could be. It was good but non surprisingly gain was not enough . The Buffer I used has no DC offset so it didn't cause any trouble with UCD180ST...

According to you what is the maximum DC offset an UCD input stage can have ?
Old 23rd February 2009, 08:44 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

RTD, i think the DC should not exceed 150 mV otherwise pumping starts. This is with the opamp bypassed. Therefore i use a 20 sec delay with mute( short output behind output capacitor) the tube output so that it can warmup and no DC is send to the UCD.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:36 PM   #25
Ceibal is offline Ceibal  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hypex UcD400 5 channel amplifier

Looks like you will need two of these power supplies according to Red Rocks Audio. Do you need to do anything special to power three amps? Also, I noticed that Red Rocks amplifier modules are only $59 for their 200watt amp. Have you or anyone you know tried these modules? If so, how do they compare to the Hypex amps?
Old 24th February 2009, 03:01 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Ceibal, you do not have to do anything special to power 3 amps on one power supply. If you use the amps in hometheater setup 1000 Watt is enough. For professional audio( bands/ studio ) then use 2 supplies.

No i do not have any experience with the amps from Redrock. Because i pay less for the Hypex amps and i need to bypass the inputbuffer of the amp. As i know only hypex has that.

You can also connect 3 UCD400( +/- 60V) and 2 UCD180(+/-30V) to the Redrock SMPS. 3 channel front and 2 channel back.

Old 25th February 2009, 12:58 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi Koifarm,
Hope you donīt mind me recommending a better driver for you very fine amp. The combination Redrock and Hypex seems to be a winner!

As I understand you like SRPP and you like 6N6P . With this driver you will also have the possibility go balanced if you want.

THD will be low even at 400W/4ohm and probably well below 0,1% at normal listening levels.

If you want play around a little, I recommend downloading LTSpice from www.linear.com. I can then mail you the files and models you need.
Attached Images
File Type: png hypexdiffsrpp.png (83.2 KB, 1187 views)
Old 25th February 2009, 01:13 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Lars, i like to try the LTspice software. So if you could send me the files and models, Thanks.

I know there a lot of possibilities to drive the hypexmodules do not forget to ad a mute between tube stage and UCD. The UCD do not like any DC with occurs during tube warming up.
Old 25th February 2009, 01:44 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Just change the file name from *.txt to *.asc and open in LTSpice. You do not need anything else to try it.

You can mail me if you want other models or help.

Right-click on ".tran 0 100......" to get AC analysis or DC.

In "Transient" change 100m to 10m. 100m is only used in distortion simulations.

Right-click on "V2" to change input voltage.

Also note OPamp is ideal so clipping will not be there. Also note waveform voltages are peak.

About muting I guess it is only needed when you use coupling caps. I will use transformers to get full galvanic isolation and to get rid of the caps.

Attached Files
File Type: txt hypexdiffsrppdriver.txt (4.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 26th February 2009, 04:20 AM   #30
Ceibal is offline Ceibal  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hypex UcD400 5 channel amplifier

Koifarm,

You had mentioned a few days ago that you have owned many amplifiers over your 40 years of audio. What were those amps that you are comparing the Hypex to? Do you think this amplifier could be compared to a Krell? Just curious.

Hide this!Advertise here!