Amps for Whole House Audio : Multi-Room : Muilt-Zone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2008, 11:44 PM   #1
Livin is offline Livin  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Amps for Whole House Audio : Multi-Room : Muilt-Zone

I'm going to be setting up a system to pipe audio into all my rooms in my house and my patio - 4 separate zones

I will be controlling everything separately via a PC so each zone can have different music playing.

Since these are mid-level ceiling speakers for 'background' music the amps don't need to be powerful but I'd like them to be decently clean/clear.

I'd like to use a digital amp due to size and power requirements. Just wondering if anyone has done this with a T-amp or any of the DIY kits... what you used, what case you used, how it turned out, etc.

Thanks for the tips/suggestions!
Old 4th January 2008, 04:16 AM   #2
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Multiple T-amps right at each speaker would be great for such a system. Just make sure to use shielded signal wiring, and possibly some differential line driver and receiver circuitry, to help avoid noise if you go that route.
Old 4th January 2008, 03:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bongoman
I can recommend the Sure Electronics TA2024 T-Amps, for $25 delivered.

ebay.com

They run well from 12v SMPS, but I advise that you at least remove the 2 unnecessary input capacitors if you want them to sound really nice.

Full thread here
Old 4th January 2008, 03:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I will be controlling everything separately via a PC so each zone can have different music playing.
I'd be interested to know more about this. Any suggestions as to where I should look?

Tim
Old 5th January 2008, 11:22 AM   #5
cc&cc is offline cc&cc  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tsmith1315

I'd be interested to know more about this. Any suggestions as to where I should look?

Tim
You can have a look at www.xlobby.com (there is a freeware version, have a look in the forums). With a bit of ******** around you can setup 4 separate zones with separate control (look for kx drivers thread). I haven't done it myself so I can't remember if it is multi-source. Cheers, cc&c.
Old 5th January 2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Livin is offline Livin  United States
diyAudio Member

XLobby is what I'm planning to use... BUT development on it is SLOW and I'm loosing patience. I'm starting to look at Girder5 & Netremote

Currently I use XBMC (on the original xbox) and it is being ported to Linux. So, I'm hoping that will be a viable solution once it reaches its first release... and it is free.

Hide this!Advertise here!