IR2010 amplifier-New Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I GOT AMPLIFIER RUNNING NICE...Adjusting dead time helped a lot..My FET's are not running hot anymore (dead time RCD= 2K+220p),amplifier sounds a lot nicer and powerfull.There is still some ringing on gates but I think that reason is my layout.This is prototype anyway and I will start working on final layout with a lot improvements.I am posting pictures of current layout and you are guys more then welcome to make comments and suggestions.
BIG THANKS to everybody but specialy to Eva and Luka for help on this little project.I will keep you updated on regular basis.I will post schematic soon and layout after that.

Here are two pictures:

P.S Little vertical board is modulator(LM311) and inverter (CD4069)-SMD

Attachments

• top re.jpg
    top re.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,323
Concerning dead time, remember that you should tune the circuit for as little dead time as possible and check how it drifts with temperature. 2K and 220p produce almost 360ns delay (for V/2), this is really high :eek: The 30ns provided by the IR2010 should be already enough if the input signals don't overlap and the gates are charged and discharged reasonably fast.

Concerning the output inductor, you should not place it that close to the modulator. Toroid magnetic leakage only tends to cancel in the far field. To understand this, you can try making a little loop antena by connecting the ground lead of an oscilloscope probe to the tip and "sniffing" with it in different directions and positions around the toroid inductor...

I have two modulator versions:

1. self-oscillating (LM311+CD4069)

and

2. triangle-wave generator (TL082),preampl(TL082) and comparator (LT1016)

Both of this boards are swapable (with little modification in feedback) on same amplifier motherboard (they are vertical PCB on motherboard).

As far as how they compare-----they are sounding about same.

Here is first step in new PCB Layout.I just did first part of new layout-modulator.Line around components is Ground and it will be conected to GND on top (directly) and thru vias to GND on bottom side.Area where components are ,will be "covered" on bottom side with GND also.So this is just first piece of PCB.I will keep working on it and post pictures here for your comments and suggestions:

Attachments

• modulator rev2.jpg
    modulator rev2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,147
Here are pictures of my whole project, from testing concept to final great working version.I am very happy with final version.I spent a lot a time playing around with different modulator versions,tweeking and making best combination.
My fist picture (proto boards-testing PCB'S):

Attachments

• ampd all pcb's.jpg
    ampd all pcb's.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 941
Were you able to tame all the RF ringing in gate waveforms and supply rails down to damped or single-oscillation? It seems that I can't find the required components to achieve this in your final layout. Could you show us detailed turn-on and turn-off Vgs and Vds oscilloscope captures, like the ones I posted in my thread, to demonstrate that the amplifier is switching clean and with little time error?

A class D amplifier with large timing error or without clean switching is worthless from my point of view, since there are already too many of them out there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.