simple heat sink, how to make?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apologize if this is wrong forum.

I put together an amp6 and need to make a heat sink about 1x3" for the tripath chip/voltage regulator/rectifier.

11-26-20074-53-36PM.jpg

I have some thin aluminum plates and thinking about making my own?, what can I use to "glue" the 90degree fins?, is there a conductive silicon glue that may work?

anyone have experience?

thanks,

gychang

Aengus said:
"Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive" is said to do this - I have no personal experience with it.

Manufacturer's instructions here.

One source here (don't know anything about them, just googled it).

Please let us know how it works if you try it.

Regards.

Aengus

thanks, that may work, newegg has it. I was wondering how I can make fins (glue to aluminum to aluminum), not sure if this will do it.

I seem to remember seeing "heatsink DIY" somewhere.

gychang

Thats quite alot of work for an appropriate heatsink. And the fins wont dissipate must of the heat since the epoxy will insulate them from the plate. A big piece of AL should be enough. I cut slices with a bandsaw around the perimeter or just on 3 sides depending on the clearance needed. They can be carefully bent 90 degrees but I ususally dont bother.

amt

Attachments

• hsink.jpg
    hsink.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 341
amt said:
Thats quite alot of work for an appropriate heatsink. And the fins wont dissipate must of the heat since the epoxy will insulate them from the plate. A big piece of AL should be enough. I cut slices with a bandsaw around the perimeter or just on 3 sides depending on the clearance needed. They can be carefully bent 90 degrees but I ususally dont bother.

amt

thanks so much amt. what thermal adhesive work for you?

gychang

gychang,

I use standard zinc oxide/silicon thermal paste - GC brand which is available everywhere. This is more that adequate for the minimal heat generated by these tiny amps/regs. Just make sure the mating surfaces are as flat and smooth as possible. If the heatsink material is not, use a sanding block with #1000 wet/dry and level it out.

If you havent read this yet, do so. Good information and explainations regarding heatsinking.

http://sound.westhost.com/heatsinks.htm#9

amt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.