NEW class D amp project started today - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2007, 12:27 PM   #1
h3ad is offline h3ad  Australia
diyAudio Member

Talking NEW class D amp project started today

A frind of mine (Dark_avenger) and i have strated a project

will be a 130mm cube

power is expected to be around the 125W rms x2 mark
uses TDA8920BTH IC's

will get into the project tomorrow will post photos of it all soon!!

will keep you all updated!

thanx Haydn
Old 21st August 2008, 06:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Did you pursuit the project further? Do you happen to know a source for these babys in Europe? I am having trouble finding some TDA8920BTH here in Germany (well, if I buy 500 peaces, no prob )
Old 26th August 2008, 05:40 PM   #3
h3ad is offline h3ad  Australia
diyAudio Member

wow i totally forgot about this post. amp was almost complete, then i moved away

it is in a working state, not completed yet as the case isnt quite finished. it has an industrial look and packs quite a punch!!

i didnt actually buy the amp chips and build the board (as smd soldering is not an easy task) it was actually a salvage job.

it was out of a surround sound computer subwoofer system that someone i knew killed! it had a blown up power supply that had been seveerly over-volted (115v-230v switch got flicked and it was a switching power supply so it was a throw away job) so we decided to make something of the working amplifier mudule. great for parties lol looks great!.

i will have source some pics of it.

i kno it isnt "true DIY" as i didnt biuld the amplifier module myself, but it is DIY in the respect as i made it my own.

so sorry i cant help with sourcing the chips but if u get your hands on some they are highly recommended. very clear and smooth highs for a class D, even compared to a class AB, deep smooth bass and fairly impressive midrange.

the amplifer is permanent bridge to 2 channel, but 4ch is possible, but it only has 2 inputs.

anyway glad 2 hear someone broaght this post back to life lol

cheers Haydn
Old 26th August 2008, 06:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanx for the reply. Ill keep looking. I found one source (rs-components), but they seem to stock the old modell.. Il inverstigate further and maybe salvage an old D-500 Hollywood-Amp, which seems to use these. So far the sound of these amps is not that impressive, but maybe its because of the not so optimal power supply in these..
Old 28th August 2008, 02:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ArjenShenzhen
Default TDA8920

Hey guys,

Ive also finished a TDA8920 Amplifier, i do like the sound of the TDA8920, lots of power and this puppy is a real cool head! it needs bearly a heatsink!

I have some fully finished PCB's sitting here for the ones that are not interested to do a complete re-design.

ill add a picture!

Arjen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tda9820 top.jpg (28.7 KB, 474 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!