Hypex transformers - OK with USA voltages?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

A Hypex distributor in the USA told me that the hypex transformers (TR400, TR501, for the ucd400s) won't work well with US voltages (he doesn't sell hypex transformers but his own custom-made ones). He said that they in Hypex didn't account for the high line voltages we often see in the USA so the ucd400 modules will be running on the edge of operation and in some conditions they will cut-out as the overvoltage protection kicks in.

Has anyone in the US have experienced this when using the hypex transformers? or do you recommend me any transformer for this application?

Thanks,
Jov

jdec said:
Hello,

A Hypex distributor in the USA told me that the hypex transformers (TR400, TR501, for the ucd400s) won't work well with US voltages (he doesn't sell hypex transformers but his own custom-made ones). He said that they in Hypex didn't account for the high line voltages we often see in the USA so the ucd400 modules will be running on the edge of operation and in some conditions they will cut-out as the overvoltage protection kicks in.

Has anyone in the US have experienced this when using the hypex transformers? or do you recommend me any transformer for this application?

Thanks,
Jov

Some of the earlier series transformer did had sometimes to high voltage what did triggered the overvoltage protection. However all transformers now on stock are fine for world wide operation.

BTW. the overvoltage of the UcD400 is at 68V, all caps are rated for 100V and the FETs are rated for 150V. So...the amps will work fine at 63VDC continious..

Cheers,

Jan-Peter

Thanks guys. Looks like any good transformer that is a 40V secondary with 115V on the primaries will do it for me.

Jan-Peter, BTW, is there any real benefit if I use 2 of your HG stereo PSU instead of 2 of the Mono PSU (80,000uF vs 40,000uF)? or why is that the guys at TNT audio and HardwareAnalysis used 2 stereo psu instead of the monos? I'm going to assemble a dual-mono amplifier with 2 ucd400's.

Thanks again,
Jov

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.