Hypex ST, HG & HxR in 7 channel amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

I am just about to start building a seven channel amp in a few stages.
What I really want to know is the difference between the ST, HG, HxR modules?
Does the HxR regulators mean that I don't need an external regulated PSU?
What is the difference between the ST and HG units?

This is my plan, please comment!

Stage 1:
Build a five channel amp with UCD180 units and use this for a 5.1 system until next phase is finished.
Single PSU.
Single transformer.
What VA would you use?

Stage 2:
Build two monoblocks with UCD400 units and add that to the above for a 7.1 system.
What VA would you choose on a mono UCD400?

The setup would in the end be:

Main speakers: UCD400HG (maybe with HxR) in monoblock config.
Center and surround: UCD180HG in five channel chassis.
Back speakers: UCD180ST in five channel chassis.

Any comments or suggestions regarding this setup?

Thanks!!!

Robert

Yes, with the HxR, you only need the main power supply, the auxillary ±12 V that was used to supply the aop (with rewiring mod) in the AD version, at least for UCD 400 is no more needed. it is simpler and the improvement great between UCD 400 AD and HG HR versions.
ST is for stereo (2 amplifier boards) and HG for mono. I you use HG, you will need one for each module. Better, but expensive.
Hypex sells 160VA for one UCD 180 and 250 VA for one UCD 400 (I use their TR 400 for my dual mono UCD and a 600 VA toroid transformer for my ordinary stereo UCD 400 AD). Never forget that most of the sound depends on main supply.
I am little involved in home cinema, but to use the ST version on back speakers seems to me meaningful. Though they are still good amps, the HG HR are definitly better. Good success to your project.

Philippe (France, sorry for the English)

Good luck on your build. I recently finished my second 5 channel build using the 180HGs. This is used as a surround amp and I chose not to use the voltage regulators.

I plan on going all out on two monoblocks for my main left/right speakers. Will be using the 700HGs and associated regulators.

Here are the amp details and a few pics:

UCD180HGs
630VA transformer
Exodus power supply (DIYcable)
Hypex softstart
Hexateq chassis

Great amp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Beautiful!

My project is planned to be almost exactly the same, but with ST modules as the surround modules (becomes back modules when my monoblocks are finished). Otherwise I will be using the same PSU and soft start, and I will spend the real cash on the monoblocks later on.

The only thing I will do differently is the transformer, I will get a custom built 1000 to 1200VA toroidal. I have a LcAudio ZapPulse amp now, and proper oversized transmformer actually did make a difference.

That chassis is also über nice! Did you get it with the drilling / marking already done or did you arrange that yourself? Dare I ask how much it was (or will I just be depressed that I will never be able to buy one myself).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Robert

Robert,

The Hexateq's are not cheap, but decided to spend the money on a great looking chassis. Richard was great to work with and he cut and laser etched per my specs.

I went a liitle overboard and followed his chassis design and countersunk all the connections on the bottom of the amp. not that you will ever see it, but why not...

I'll post a couple of pics of the monoblocks when they are completed.

Once again, good luck with your build.

marty

Robert,

Three versions that I know of. ST, AD, and now HG. I believe they have upraded critical components (i.e. caps, op amps, etc). In theory, this should get you better performance and sound.

You may want to shoot Jan Peter an e-mail and ask him to expand on the differences.

marty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.