What is the "State of the Art" today?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I am new in this forum. I tried to search for threads to answer my question but I really cant find it so...

What is the current "State of the Art" in Class-D amplification. My only selfexperience is Tripath Class-T.

Could we gather news about Class-D amplifiers in this thread? New chips, new products, etc?

Best Regards,
Peter

The state of the art amps might be out of reach for the ordinary
diy-person. In thinking of amps like Kharma Matrix MP150 or Kharma Exquisite MP 350.
For what it´s worth here´s a review:http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/kharma_mp150.htm
Of course, there may be members arguing against my statement.
:cool:

As this seems to be a Swedish discussion so far (for once) ;) here´s a link to a Swedish site as well:
http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se/forums/index.php?showtopic=4428

And finally; a link to some of the discussion taking place in TAS about the issue: http://www.avguide.com/features/class-d/first-impressions.php

Disclaimer. I distrust Hifi magazines to a great extent. To much non-evidence declarations for my taste. It can be due to lack of knowledge and/or commercial considerations.

dominate

To quote the article about the Karma

"Bruno Putzeys, the lead engineer behind the Class D project at Dutch giant Phillips Electronics, and the man who developed the patent on which the MP150s are based, now works for Kharma and headed up the MP150 design team. "

To my knowledge Bruno still works for Hypex. Looking at the article, I have a feeling that the Karma is another application of the UcD circuit...

Well; the author (Marshall Nack) may not be as well-informed as he ought to be, and if so he is a part of a far to common phenomena in the world of Hi-fi journalism.
I think Bruno worked for Kharma on a consultant basis (he may tell us).
I don´t think these amps to be "straight Hypex" amps, but some more sophistication's has gone with them. Maybe discrete input stages, still self oscillation but with some "refinements"; e g better component. Just my guess. The circuit will probably remain a secret for a long time.......

I would doubt that Bruno Putzeys "work for Kharma". What I do know and believe is that Bruno is part owner in sveral companies and consult for others.

About class D being SOTA.. it's not since linear amps perform better, expecially in the top octaves.

Few amps have a performance level that make them sonically transparent btw.

/Peter

raintalk said:
Class-d itself is state of the art.

Amplifiers in general have already exceeded what human hearing can discern.

High efficiency, high reliability, low cost is state of the art

Just my $.02

Amplifiers are like humans i.e. individuals. :cool: They interact with their load or even with their source.

Human hearing varies from individual to individual. Even what we consider noise, unbearable sound or just enjoyable music varies.

Much research has to be carried out to understand why amps do not sound the same, even if they almost measure the same.

Long live human hearing!;) We can´t emulate the hearing of bats, dogs or cats but we (most of us) are pretty clever in spite of this.

According to what I´ve written above it is possible that some individuals are more sensitive to certain forms of distortion than others. If this is the case, a claim that amps are good enough may make sense to one person but not to someone else.

In my opinion amps are far from being perfect and there certainly is a problem making experiments by adding a defined amount of distortion to a system in an experiment as no system is free of distortion in the first place.

It would be interesting to assess if people can distinguish some linear amps from class D ones in a blind test situation. It would be especially fun to carry out an experiment with persons who write about Hi-fi on a professional level.

It would be interesting to assess if people can distinguish some linear amps from class D ones in a blind test situation. It would be especially fun to carry out an experiment with persons who write about Hi-fi on a professional level. [/B]

Now that I'd like to see!
Human hearing isn't perfect and it's far below levels of distortion that modern day measurements can make. It varies from person to person but anybody who can hear reliably outside of any measurement is probably super-human.:umbrella:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The golden mean said:
It would be interesting to assess if people can distinguish some linear amps from class D ones in a blind test situation. It would be especially fun to carry out an experiment with persons who write about Hi-fi on a professional level.

It would be nice if someone would come up with an easy to set up, valid blind test.

The best one's i've "seen" are when the listener is blind (ie does not know they are a participant in a test)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.