Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Banned

I did exactly that when i tested, dident work.

I used LF356 and 12V from a regulated supply.
Old 30th October 2007, 06:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ok, Make some measurements on HIP4080.
1. measure the stby current of HIP4080. Should be <10mA
2. merasure the boostrap cap supply vs GND of 4080. It should go up from 12V to 30 or something else(internal charge pump).
If both of these measeurements results are not ok, according to datasheet, Probably your 4080 die .

If I were you I would use TL082 instead of LF356( I tried 356 in my recent desing but could not get valueable results, my experience).

Take care to Henable and Disable pins of 4080. This IC is a bit more complex than the known mosfet drivers but, if you could achive to run it the sound is better than the others(except newer IR ICs).

good luck

Ps: remove all the mosfet gate resistors before the measurements.
Old 30th October 2007, 08:32 PM   #13
Banned

I read on the foum that HIP4080 is a bit picky on what mosfets you use. I got everything right with HEN och DIS but it looks like the breadboard is a bit intermittent.

Unfortunately i have no way of measuring anything.
Old 30th October 2007, 09:46 PM   #14
dazzdax is offline dazzdax  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Tekko, it seems all your designs always blow up somewhere in time.

Chris
Old 31st October 2007, 01:33 PM   #15
Banned

Hum im starting to think that its the breadboard playing tricks on me.

Low side works but not high side, confirmed with a led, i tried separate isolated supply for high side but that gave nothing.
Old 31st October 2007, 02:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Tekko Do that ;

Remove all the mosfets and then place a wire between AHs&BHs pin to GND. Than give a reference on + input of eroramp. Now, give +12V to -input of the err.amp. measure the voltage on Lout pins (one should go +12V and the other should go gnd potential). Do the same measurements for Hout pins(vice versa for the Lout). After that give gnd to -in of erramp and do the same measurements for all outputs. If your IC not defected you should see some values with multimeter. Make sure Hen/dis pins right connected.

Regards
Old 31st October 2007, 03:53 PM   #17
Banned

My dmm is dead, not working, kapoot.

I wonīt do any more experiments involving gate drivers on breadboard. I started cadding a board of this since im confident its the breadboard malfunctioning i had some bursts of life, like when i jiggled around with a high side fet gate resistor the amp let out a quick 50Hz burp, but after that it wouldent do anything.
Old 31st October 2007, 04:16 PM   #18
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
You need a pair of working DMM!!. You need a few new breadboards in good condition (not oxidized or melted from previous disasters!!). You need bridge wires for your breadboards in good condition (not oxidized and with good insulation). You need a decent working environment like a large table (not a pile of junk sitting under your prototypes and everywhere around!). You need a small adjustable low current power supply for breadboards (like DIY with LM317/LM337) to avoid disasters due to accidental shorts.

I think that you could have probably bought the items that you lack from the previous list and much more with those $300 that you expent in the TI evaluation module.

See the attached picture. It's a bread-board working UcD with IR2010 driver and LM311 comparator. It's the crude basis for the class-D car amplifier that I'm developing. It worked and sounded fine at first attempt although I later fried a LM311 and a pair of IRF540 due to a wrong connection (something that happens from time to time). The IR2010 survived, though. The power path between the MOSFETs and the supply capacitors is very short and there is even an EMI filter in the supply rails witn 220n caps and 0.7uH ferrite beads. Long wires are unimportant signals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb_ucd.jpg (57.7 KB, 670 views)
Old 31st October 2007, 05:35 PM   #19
Banned

This breadboard was brand new, but i can clearly feel when i push the hip4080 down that something aint right, doesent feel like when i push down smaller icīs.

Theres nothing wrong with my wires. And you know me, i donīt buy components for my projects until they work properly and i transfer them to real boards, tho very few of my projects get this far because i run outta interest.

My power supplies are two small smpsīs one is 60W and have 5V and 12V out ther other is 100W and have 5V, -5V, 12V and -12V.

I bought the eval kit because its ready to use with minimum work. The diy projects are more or less just to waste some time to make the days pass faster.
Old 31st October 2007, 07:10 PM   #20
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Those big power supplies with no adjustable current limiting can fry a dozen ICs in a fraction of a second...

Hide this!Advertise here!