Audiosource Amp 7 Tripath

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know if this amp can be rewired to use in 220V operation?

I have never seen an Audiosource Amp 7 in real. I looked at photo's on the Internet and noticed that there is no input voltage selector at the rear. The amplifier appears only to be designed for the region it is sold. But, perhaps if you remove the cover and study the huge toroidal transfomer at the rear it has two primary windings connected i parallel for 115Vac. If so, the windings can be connected in series instead for 230Vac. I have found no photo from inside the Amp 7 so I only know about the toroidal transformer seen through the perforations on the top.
The sound, they say, should be magnificent.

Thanks for the reply FauxFrench! Here are the photos I have sent to Audiosource but they ignored me pretty much. All they say is, it should be ok to rewire for 220V. They’re not certain. They didn’t even check the photos I have sent.

The model number on the transformer is RH5055A312*U

Here are the links to the photos.

DDF36024-6551-42-B7-834-A-EF7-EC1140-E2-B — imgbb.com
DCB5-A28-A-48-C8-4-E6-B-A076-6967-DB678090 — imgbb.com
5-C14-D795-9-B7-F-4879-A3-DE-C5-A898-C9-DA1-E — imgbb.com
FEB04-B09-D5-DD-4-B65-8223-97-B964921-D0-B — imgbb.com
369209-A4-20-F2-4266-AE11-23-A3-E48-DE0-F7 — imgbb.com
https://ibb.co/x6TD8rb
https://ibb.co/D8ssYCX
https://ibb.co/3NRDKGM
https://ibb.co/kBTm2rg

I managed to find this photo: AudioSource Amp Seven T (Pre One/A included free) Photo #1833269 - UK Audio Mart
117Vac input is probably the same as for the model you describe. You want to be able to supply that amplifier with 220Vac, right?
Your 3rd and 4th photo show well the wiring for the transformer. A white wire and a black wire leave the power inlet connector. The white wire goes straight to the transformer. The black wire (probably phase) goes to the fuse, then to the power switch at the front where it returns as a purple wire to the transformer. Two wires (white and purple) enter the transformer through a black hose, these are almost certainly the for the primary winding. You have no possibility to reconfigure the primary winding for another input voltage.
The primary winding determines the flux in the transformer core and if you increase that much, the core may start saturating which leaves excessive heating and high primary currents. Further, the number of primary windings to the number of secondary windings determines the output voltage. More input voltage leaves more output voltage and that will soon cause damage in the amplifier. I do not understand the reply from Audiosource.

Generally, such situations where you have an apparatus that is supposed to take 110Vac/115Vac and you only have 220Vac/230Vac supply, or the other way around, is solved with a 115Vac<->230Vac step-up/step-down transformer. They are standard and not very expensive. They exist with galvanic isolation or as an auto-transformer without galvanic isolation. It is a bit a clumsy solution but often the one that works.
Replacing the amplifier toroid transformer is difficult because it has more sets of secondary windings. The transformer number/code did not bring any explanation.

Is it an amplifier you already have or is it one you consider buying?

Thank you again! I really appreciate it. Yes, I have the amp. Based on what Audiosource told me on the phone before purchasing, I purchased it. They weren’t sure but they said it should be rewireable to operate at 220V which I was planning to use in Europe when I go there.

Then I purchased and sent these photos to them but they could careless to check them out. They told me the same thing like first time over the phone.

I wouldn’t want to use it with a step-up transformer. I would replace the transformer but looks like too much work. I would love to take it with me but I guess need to stay here. Oh well. I can just use it here.

Thanks again FauxFrench!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.