Introduction and Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I would like to introduce myself and give a huge thank you to everyone who shares their knowledge here. I am relatively new to the world of audio DIY but have been anxious to get more involved. I have thought long and hard about building an SE tube amp but sourcing parts (output transformers), and my lack of knowledge have been a stumbling block. That's when I stumbled across the Class D forum and thought I would try out the t-amp mods. Long story short: I bought an SI t-amp (rev D), performed the "stealth" mods, replaced the on board cap, and powered it with an old PC PSU. All I can say is, DAMN! This thing sounds great. Don't get me wrong I still want to build an SE, but first (rubs hands together), more efficient speakers! I think this is the beginning of a great DIY journey.

Some photos of the amp are posted at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougkeener/

I will be posting more photos soon.

Doug,

You are on the slippery slope now and there's no going back! :D

The amazing thing (to me anyway) about digital amps is that the ones I've heard sound more "tube-like" than any other amp except tubes. Interesting that a technology so far removed from vacuum tubes seems to re-create much of the sound.

For a tube SE amp consider Mikael Abdellah's KT88 SE. I've built it and it sounds great. Not a lot of parts and a simple circuit. Mine produce about 7.5 watts per channel so not far removed from a t-amp.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Welcome to the forum, Doug. And the the fun world of class-d.

As Sherman says, it's a slippery slope. :p I've been wanting to build a tube amp for years, but these darn little Tripath critters won't let me!

Have fun, enjoy the amps. Find or build some efficient speakers and enjoy the music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.