ColdAmp, UCD700, and NCD - Listeners only

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ColdAmp, ACD700, and NCD - Listeners only

I have spent a lot of time reading threads on these amps and am trying to decide between them. Specs wise they are all good. I will be powering thiel 2 2's so I need power.... This thread is meant to be about how they sound compared to each other. If I need to open another thread about config or opinions on what I should do that don't pertain to how they sound/compare let me know.

If you have listened to any TWO or more of the above please list your opinions. I don't want the reviews to get buried...

Thanks!
-Dwight

I have them all 3 and find the UCD 400's with LM4562 very nice. The NCD's (+LM4562's)are equally nice but have a bit more EMI. The Coldamp is louder in a sense that it is less modest than the other 2. Also a bit more EMI than the UCD's. I have a modified coldamp with LM4562's but did not have a proper chance yet to compare.

The last time I was playing with the power for the NCD, there was significant difference with different transformers and between linear and switching supply. I have not gotton the chance to listen to the UcD yet, but talking with my friend, there were just different things he liked and disliked between the two.

What I don't get, is that if the power supply can make such a difference why are Hypex and NCD Not making power supplies? I want SMPS. Cold amp seems to be the only company doing it. Maybe they're the only ones capable of making a decent power supply for class-d.

raintalk said:
What I don't get, is that if the power supply can make such a difference why are Hypex and NCD Not making power supplies? I want SMPS. Cold amp seems to be the only company doing it. Maybe they're the only ones capable of making a decent power supply for class-d.
I'm sure somebody must be working it, just not released because it's not better yet? For my experience with the NCD, I posted a long report in one of the NCD threads. Later we also tried a SMPS that would trigger the NCD protection mechnism before reaching power limits when plying loud music. We suspect that his is due to some PS impedance matching problems, but I am not fully involved with this aspect.

raintalk said:

IVX said:

Wait and see....:angel: :angel: :angel:

It toke a very long time, indeed..., but we want to have something very good. Our target is to rate the SMPS what can stand full power of the amp at 20Hz and not at 1kHz.

Jan-Peter

Please take time to let us know on the modified coldamp!

Thanks all,
-Dwight

Bgt said:
I have them all 3 and find the UCD 400's with LM4562 very nice. The NCD's (+LM4562's)are equally nice but have a bit more EMI. The Coldamp is louder in a sense that it is less modest than the other 2. Also a bit more EMI than the UCD's. I have a modified coldamp with LM4562's but did not have a proper chance yet to compare.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.