T amps vs. gainclones - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2007, 11:06 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I have a Charlize.
Yeo, the designer, recommends smps over batteries, but states that some can be noisy (perhaps to do with the switching frequency).
Old 10th October 2007, 12:15 PM   #12
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Dxvideo
Interesting work! I havent seen it before. However balanced input causes some additional works. Like DRV134 board etc.
On the contrary, the balanced input doesn't require any additional work. The amp is equally happy dealing with unbalanced sources as it is with balanced ones. I've been using an unalanced source for months.
Old 11th October 2007, 03:53 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I prefer the class T sound, but I can only compare it to class A/B amps, I have not heard a GC.

My set-up is a Trends 10.1 configured as a power amp with a NAD pre-amp, and Paradigm Monitor 3 speakers. I believe that these little amps sound better to my ears at least with a pre-amp. The NAD pre-amp adds depth and a really sweet liquidity to the soundfield. I have also found it's best to keep the treble flat, but I add a little bass as needed. Not that the Trends doesn't sound good by itself, but the sound is so much better with the NAD pre-amp!

Andrewbee, I also agree with you about the 12V battery, I have a 12V 7AH battery and I've compared the sound many times with the Trends SMPS and the battery just doesn't have the dynamics.

I have a Charlize amp that I haven't finished yet, I am looking forward to hearing it and comparing it to the Trends.
Old 11th October 2007, 04:11 AM   #14
Ipanema is offline Ipanema  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I hook up this class T with a SLA12V battery. For low power amp, I rather use a good quality Class A amp, especially those from passlabs or Firstwatts. They can be very additive.
Old 11th October 2007, 04:19 AM   #15
rajacat is offline rajacat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripath07
I prefer the class T sound, but I can only compare it to class A/B amps, I have not heard a GC.

My set-up is a Trends 10.1 configured as a power amp with a NAD pre-amp, and Paradigm Monitor 3 speakers. I believe that these little amps sound better to my ears at least with a pre-amp. The NAD pre-amp adds depth and a really sweet liquidity to the soundfield. I have also found it's best to keep the treble flat, but I add a little bass as needed. Not that the Trends doesn't sound good by itself, but the sound is so much better with the NAD pre-amp!

Andrewbee, I also agree with you about the 12V battery, I have a 12V 7AH battery and I've compared the sound many times with the Trends SMPS and the battery just doesn't have the dynamics.

I have a Charlize amp that I haven't finished yet, I am looking forward to hearing it and comparing it to the Trends.
I have the Trends too which I use with a Mapletree Line 3a pre. I also think that it sounds better with my tubed pre and resolution is not sacrificed.

I agree that a little 7AH battery will lack dynamics. Some have strung capacitors between the positive and negative terminals to increase dynamic ability so to handle the surges.

Here is an interesting link to explore. Check the Optima Yellow Top.

EDIT:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...slt&1140494870

Sorry about that! I forgot to paste.

--Roy
Old 11th October 2007, 01:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have built both a 41Hz amp6 and a few gainclones, and like both designs a lot.

I modded a few sonic impact t-amps before building the amp6. The amp6 is much warmer sounding and has much better bass than the sonic impact, but both have a similar up-front sound.

To my ears, gainclones sound much less 'in your face' and less obviously exciting. They are less gripping at first listen but are more balanced and even-sounding overall.

It is similar to comparing Kylie (small, excitable, lot's of dazzle and glamor, slight lack of depth) to Audrey Hepburn (cool, considered, less in your face). I'm just more of an Audrey man...

At the end of the day, the best option will probably be dictated by loudspeaker choice.

I have settled on a gainclone in both my living room and kitchen, but the amp6 does a great job at my girlfriends house ;-)
Old 11th October 2007, 04:17 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BWRX

I would suggest building a dual mono instrumentation amp with a couple of LM4562s and LM3875s. Have a look at this thread for some schematics of how I've done it: Instrumentation Gainclone

That's a pretty interesting design. I even have most of the parts to try a non-smd version, although unfortunately I have LM3876's and my speakers are 4 ohm. Any take on whether a 3876 in your layout and +- 12V rails would be OK for 5-10W into 4 ohms? I have a bunch of Tripath stuff, but the idea of direct-coupling your differential setup to a Twisted Pear Opus and using the volume control built into the DAC is very attractive. (I've thought of the same thing with some UcD's, which I still may try).
Old 11th October 2007, 06:58 PM   #18

Hi dwk.

LM3876's are just LM3875's with the mute function, but any power op amp should work fine (doesn't have to be from National).

+/-12V rails will be good for ~10W into 4 ohms. The lower voltage rails will be good because you can run the chip and the small op amp from the same supply. The lower voltage rails will also help keep the 38XX chips cooler, which is good since your speakers are 4 ohm nominal.

Direct coupling a balanced DAC to the differential inputs is the best way to go if you can do it. Most DACs should have no problem driving the high impedance inputs of a differential buffer stage. As you mentioned, this would also work very well with UcD's since they have the same high impedance differential buffer inputs.
Old 12th October 2007, 04:51 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BWRX
Hi dwk.

LM3876's are just LM3875's with the mute function, but any power op amp should work fine (doesn't have to be from National).

+/-12V rails will be good for ~10W into 4 ohms. The lower voltage rails will be good because you can run the chip and the small op amp from the same supply. The lower voltage rails will also help keep the 38XX chips cooler, which is good since your speakers are 4 ohm nominal.

To be clear, my concern was whether the 3875 would be able to handle the 4 ohm load even with the reduced rails, rather than whether the topology would support it. Sounds like it's at least worth a try, although since the 3886 looks to only be $6 it may be worth picking some up.

Quote:

Direct coupling a balanced DAC to the differential inputs is the best way to go if you can do it.
It wasnt until I went back and looked that I realized that the instrumentation topology is more than a bit similar to the other Twisted Pear stuff - definately set up to go fully differential/direct coupled. This is much simpler than their full super-symetric design, though.
Old 12th October 2007, 01:39 PM   #20

The 3886 can source/sink more current so it would be more appropriate for a 4ohm load, but either chip should work fine considering your use of low voltage supply rails.

Hide this!Advertise here!